Agnostic.com

8 0

How do you feel about the release of GMO mosquitoes?

What could possibly go wrong (Rolling my eyes)

Here is an article in Newsweek:
[newsweek.com]

#GMO
Lovewins 5 Apr 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

there was an old lady who swallowed a fly
I don't know why she swallowed that fly
there was an old...............................

What is it that you fear could go wrong?

I'm all for study into these kinds of methods to control the mosquito population during epidemics of diseases caused by these insects. I live on a tropical island that just experienced a catastrophic flood, devastating one quadrant of our island, which will likely provide a breeding ground for mosquitoes.

If the mosquito population explodes, and found to be transmitting horrible sicknesses, possibly fatal to humans or animals, then I would welcome the release of genetically modified male mosquitoes, if field tests prove it would reduce the number of mosquitoes.

Not only could it save the loss of human/animal life, a mosquito borne epidemic can bring devastation to the tourist driven economy of an island (or any visitor destination area) by scaring away visitors. I'd hate to see an emergency measure (such as releasing gm mosquitoes) during a real health epidemic be halted due to unfounded fear of GMO.

So, what is it that you fear regarding reducing the number of mosquitoes carrying a disease known to be harmful or fatal to humans/animals? Is that fear worse than loss of life? And what do you base this fear on?

The GM Rainbow Papaya saved the papaya industry in my state. A GM banana could save Ugandan crop farmers battling the banana wilt disease. There are many instances where a GM crop (such as brindal/eggplant in India) has shown to improve yield, reduce amount of pesticides farmers must use, and could greatly improve the quality of life of the farmers. Unfortunately activists succeed in stopping these advancements, to the detriment of huge populations of people whose suffering continues.

I for one am glad this science is being conducted and it saddens me to see activists stopping the progress of such advancements, causing pain, suffering and possibly death.

They always think they know more than they do..

It's going to be awesome. I'm gathering supplies now.

This is another example of how arrogant mankind truly is.
There will be unintended consequences. As there always are.

Leave Darwin to do Darwin's work.

I hope it works but I always worry about unintended consequences. Maybe they will create a super mosquito that will kill all of us.

What ?? Do they bite harder ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:62775
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.