Agnostic.com

8 11

I recently severed my relationship with amazon.

Scooter65 5 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They too are an Evil Empire to be avoided if at all possible.

Oh, I wanted to add that I was listening to a podcast about sleep and the human body, Huberman Lab, and he does not like the screen light from computers late at night as they can interrupt the sleep cycle. This is a great podcast, he is a professor at Stanford.

I like the feel of books, I like to write in the margins, I like the way they sit on a shelf looking out at you making sure they are noticed. I also listen to books, and I have when I have the money read and listen to the same book at the same time. I also will support any local business. Unfortunately, the book stores here are geared towards tourists, so when I am flush, I order through them, when not I order from Powells books in Portland, Oregon. Unfortunately, I buy a lot of technical stuff, which I am trying to cut down on, I mean I do not think I have a future in Mathematical Physics, I am seventy. Support local in everything else.

I strongly agree with supporting local businesses.

But I have to admit I seldom buy printed books any more. I use a Kindle these days and it's much lighter and more convenient. Not only can I carry pretty much my entire library (recreational and technical) in my pocket now but ebooks are usually cheaper than printed.

And all my music comes along as well.🙂

@Scooter65
Another advantage is that it also supports my fetish for older fiction -- HP Lovecraft, Josephine Tey, James Branch Cabell, etc., etc.
I'm too lazy (and frankly don't move well enough) to search either bookstores or libraries all the time. I just had to learn how to search online for what I like.
Fortunately, A lot of that old stuff can be found for free download.🙂

@Scooter65
Thanks. I guess this speaks to me being obsessive and having broad tastes but I just got a copy of O Pioneers! -- I'll check it out.🙂

I dislike how Amazon treats its employees and the greed of its owner but I'm an avid reader and have been my entire life. Books are simply a part of my life. I am far from wealthy. If I were wealthy I wouldn't worry about the cost 3 or 4 books a month. But that's not the case. The convenience of having books delivered directly to me, the huge selection, and the prices Amazon offers is immensely helpful. I don't wish to spend hours every month driving dozens of miles from bookstore to bookstore.

Also, I only know of two used bookstores near me. The rest are chains (Barnes & Noble and 2nd & Charles).

First it was Barnes and Nobel, Waldens and other chains that killed many small book stores. Then Amazon blew up and almost killed most of the chain stores. For many areas of the country Amazons, if not the only option available, one of few for anyone not looking for NYT bestsellers or movie adaptations. Rare and specialty books have an online niche for small distributors, but the small privately owned walk in bookstore is mostly a quaint relic at this point, cute but hard to find outside of big cities.

@Scooter65 I have been getting many of my books from a Little Library box in my neighborhood. I notice many of them come from used book markets.

You will soon experience a big wealth spike. ( When you stop spending on things you don't really need. )

Years ago I signed up for Amazon to buy a book, then I lost my password, so I tried to use their recovery procedure to get it back, without success. So then I tried to open a new account and they flagged me as a fraud, and barred me. But now ten years or more down the line, they are no longer honest booksellers anymore, and I have probably saved enough money by not buying their rubbish, to pay for my next good holiday. Big win.

PS. there are still a lot of real and good bookshops, who sell online.

There are no bookstores in Wenatchee, WA after Walmart drove them out. Local quality stores went out of business.

Big box stores including Walmart don't have what I need. I go online to find:

1. Narrow shoes and boots. The American obesity epidemic made feet wider.

2. Small clothing sizes. Guess why?

3. Specialty items like zipper sliders/pulls in a specific size, windowsill rooting containers with holes in the bottom and trays, etc.

4. Hiking clothes and equipment, and more.

@Scooter65

Cause and effect.

1. Macy's eliminated their Petite size department. They added a Plus size department instead. Now their clothes are too big for me. Very few small sizes.

2. In 1960, 20% of Americans wore narrow shoes. Today only 2% of Americans have narrow feet.

3. REI eliminated narrow hiking boots. Luckily, I found narrow boots that fit me on Moosejaw.com. We'll see how long that lasts.

@Scooter65 I am sorry that the comment on weight was mentioned. I think there is a large misunderstanding about weight gain and loss by a segment of the population.
When I married my present Spouse, she weighed 120 lbs saoking wet. She is now at three hundred, down from three fify. She has a disease which has an accompanying feature of weight gain. She has been on a medication which has allowed her to lose over fifty pounds. This is not her fault, as it is not your fault that shit happens.
I take the concern for high weight people to mean that they genuinely care about health and wish the better for any and all. However, they may not have the where with all to be able to express their care as a caring feature. I long ago took my ego out and put it in a drawer. I find that it is much harder to find insult in what people say as they are ignorant of others conditions. I chose to see their rantimng as a caring way to deal with their inability to show care and concern.

@Scooter65

There is no reason to be rude.

@LiterateHiker Unfortunately, many people do not have the ability to deal with other people and in doing the best they can are rude, obtuse, and just miserable. What I was trying to say is do not give them any more power than needed.

@Scooter65

An epidemic of Obesity: U.S. Obesity Trends by Harvard School of Public Health

"In 1990, obese adults made up less than 15 percent of the population in most U.S. states. By 2010, 36 states had obesity rates of 25 percent or higher, and 12 of those had obesity rates of 30 percent or higher.

"Today, nationwide, roughly two out of three U.S. adults are overweight or obese (69 percent) and one out of three is obese (36 percent). (2) While U.S. obesity rates have, overall, stayed steady since 2003, the rates are still rising in some groups, and disparities persist: Non-Hispanic black, Hispanic, and Mexican American adults have higher rates of obesity than non-Hispanic white adults.

"Even more alarming, the prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adolescents is on the rise, and youth are becoming overweight and obese at earlier ages. One out of six children and adolescents ages 2 to 19 are obese and one out of three are overweight or obese. (3) Early obesity not only increases the likelihood of adult obesity, (4) it also increases the risk of heart disease in adulthood, (5) as well as the prevalence of weight-related risk factors for cardiovascular disease such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and high blood sugar."

[hsph.harvard.edu]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:628154
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.