Agnostic.com

18 4

Is religiosity really declining?

We've all heard that in polls and surveys the "nones" are increasing in numbers. But I have to wonder. I've talked to lots of people who would answer the religion question as none, but are still very much into supernatural beliefs: the soul, all kinds of New Agey, Native American "spiritual" things, etc. To me, those things are just as religious as religions. And I wonder if the number of people who have no supernatural beliefs really is increasing. Comments?

MichaelF 6 Apr 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Lots of people still hang on to religious beliefs about politicians LONG after rejecting gods. Those falling short of sainthood are always savaged. Where are the good ol' time perfect gods anyway?

Religion is on the way out. All that Noah's ark and Eve and the apple. Those stories are 3500 years old. Science has opened our eyes to a lot of stuff. Young people aren't buying all that crap as much as in the past.In the cult of Christianity they try as hard as they can to brainwash a child before the child is old enough to decide for himself/herself.

I’ve realized that my whole life. But you know what? I was an atheist in all my past lifes too!

That is conflating skepticism with religious beliefs.
People can not hold religious beliefs and not be skeptics even though they applied skeptical thought to religious assertions and found those lacking.

Hi my name is Kam, I am married and just looking for friends that live by me and think more like me. I would like to meet you if you are interested

It’s the difference between ignorance and apathy: Don’t know and don’t care

I hope he is right!

Thanks for posting this. I'm hopeful there is a one way trend toward secularization. But I do think there's still a long way to go.

We can only hope so. It's our only chance.

Is religiosity really declining? God I hope so!

Very much so, just think, if electricity had been invented in the beginning, then religious nuts would be walking around with little electric chairs round their necks instead of stupid little crosses

Yeah, no shit huh?!

If you look at the "Islamic invasion" currently going on in Europe it's definitely on the rise there.

AndyL Level 3 Apr 22, 2018

I have no evidence either way but seems to me fewer children are made to go to Sunday school sundays seem to have become family day and I welcome that.

I think the increase of the “nones” includes all who are not current participants in “organized religion” but who may be in transition away from the religion of their youth, yet do have a personal spirituality or dabble in new age woo.

I've often questioned the validity of such polls myself.

@MichaelF

The statistical studies on this are largely useless, because they don't give their sampling methodology.

More people are not religious than ever before but I think Islam is actually increasing at a rapid rate. This is mainly because less muslims are becoming nonreligious than christians, and religious people tend to have way more children.

[theguardian.com]

In a large part of the world it would be social, if not literal, death, to admit to not being religious. Outside of liberal regimes I take the numbers with a pinch of salt.

Yeah, and they seem to get shows on TV now frequently! How many kids can your body shove out? How many wives does it take to populate your own town?

TBH, I'm not sure there really are that many more nones. I don't have actual data, but I suspect a good part of the rise is just atheists coming out of the closet. Social media and forums like this one have made it a lot easier for us to discover how many of us there are.

I agree, fear of the religious and social ostracizing has kept many silent. Only the brave were vocal in the past.

I'd have to agree that more people consider themselves atheist than used to.
Education plus lessening stigma plus more accepting countries/governments = more atheists.

Mea Level 7 Apr 21, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:62820
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.