Agnostic.com

4 3

This was written several year back by a FB friend. It showed up on my memories from when I shared it back then, it got 4 likes 😏. It was so well said I thought it was worth posting on here now!

Wesley-C 7 Oct 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Rather illogical, but ok. Illogical atheist thinks they are logical. It is explained by Dunning Kruger effect. People with lesser intelligence capabilities over estimate their intelligence capabilities.

Word Level 8 Oct 20, 2021

"HOW, I ask you, in the thousands of years of power and the best efforts of billions of Theists, (and of Almighty God's,) has Atheism only flourished and grown stronger in the world, without ever having any power, majority nor basis in reality?"

It hasn't.

skado Level 9 Oct 19, 2021

Different people have different needs and many people need definite answers while some can accept life without definite answers. I'm sure that's for many different reasons but I sometimes wonder if I'd rather not know than be wrong.

I'm on record saying Atheism won't replace Theism. That's partly why I present my NN theory within Zen Taoism. Atheism is empty and our modern society is a clash for a system of order, basically, which checks liberty (ironically) and gives people an easy answer to all of life's mysteries. Atheism offers answers through science and are often mistaken theories. Such uncertainty doesn't play well in the head of a non-philosophical dullard (or common bloke). Further, humans (like any animal alive) has a connection to nature and most acknowledge it (certainly females do) so Theism's replacement must allow for that feeling of connection. We call that connection spiritual. What we should be learning, in today's clashes, is that we can't take away a well established mistake (I use that word deliberately as religion is not really a lie to those who honestly believe it) without offering something to replace it. Atheism is as cold as the stars.

Atheism is not meant as a replacement for theism, or at least it shouldn’t be seen that way. Atheism is the empty whiteboard, the blank slate, the tv turned off (which by the way is not a channel). 😉

@p-nullifidian Society sees philosophical dominance as either 1: The thing we all know, or 2: The new thing which replaces the old. Therefore, while technically correct (as other ideas dot the landscape so the current philosophy is not the only one) one will become dominant. After 20 years as an Atheist, with a fondness for meditation during that time, I learned that the resistance to nothingness is too extreme (even for me). Something which gives terminology to the Universal system is enjoyed and implied by consciousness. My NN explains consciousness as a bi-product of a parasite which exists eternally (because it's made of electromagnetic star stuff) within a system governed by Zen. Taoism is merely a series of doctrines which seem to identify natural truths for humanity. Especially the first 10 teachings (which are thought to have been written by Lao Tzu himself). Further, Zen can easily replace Islam and Hinduism if those believers realize that Theism is killing them.

@rainmanjr There is much to appreciate in Eastern philosophical traditions, so long as they don’t devolve into Chopraesque woo woo! 😉 I have dabbled in Buddhism, picking and choosing favorites, such as the Eight fold path and other proverbs to live by. In this way I wasn’t too much different from my Christian self, as all Christians pick and choose what to follow and what to discard.

But having decided that Christianity held more negatives than positives, what took the place for me was not Eastern philosophy, but positivism and science. As YouTuber Phil Hellenes says, “Science saved my soul.”

Nature provides all the awe, inspiration and wonder anyone needs, IMO. And as for “meaning,” each one of us is free to fill in that blank for themselves. If there’s one thing I’ve come to learn as a secular humanist and non-believer, it’s that the human species doesn’t need a singular philosophical tradition or new religion in order to thrive.

@p-nullifidian I completely agree about Chopraesque woo woo and also discarded Buddhism. While it shares much in common with Taoism it is not environmentally based. I think reverence for a "thing" turns out to be important for how valued it is.Taoism reveres nature as being equal. All nature. It seems to me that might be well received in a quick way and cause a tsunami of demand to act accordingly. What humans need, now, is speed. Maybe some Ecstasy, too? That's the only reason I come back to it as a strategic unifier, though. With no dogma, or punitive, it can be easily forgotten afterward if desired.
As for what to follow and discard; we do that for law and all things. It is human. We will damned well do as we choose and choose not to. That's why the current political argument can't be solved without a referee. Apparently that won't be law so we need something else to call the pitch.

@rainmanjr Picking and choosing is a good thing, otherwise Christians and Jews would still be stoning adulterers, blasphemers and Sabbath breakers. There is much in their so called holy books that is worthy of revision if not redaction, but the texts are left alone while the people ignore them and rethink certain passages on their own.

The umpire we need is unlikely to come from ourselves. Despite my high regard for Gene Roddenberry and his vision of the future, at present I don’t see a one world government or ‘united Earth’ anytime soon.

@p-nullifidian Me either but one can make suggestions. You never know. LMAO.

Every truth can be rediscovered, but every lie has to be a new invention, and can never be reinvented when it is lost.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:629055
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.