Agnostic.com

41 16

Do you check off qualities in a potential partner like you would groceries on a grocery list?

When I first started dating, I thought I knew exactly what I wanted and needed in a romantic partner, but as I've grown older I've dropped the "check list" approach. It's not that I don't still have standards or that I don't still look for compatibility or shared interests/similarity, it's more that I've realized by not giving people a chance that don't meet all the "check marks", I stand to miss out on wonderful people that often have "check marks" in other categories I didn't even realize were important for compatibility. Some of my best relationships and closest friends have been forged with people I initially never thought I'd get along with.

Mea 7 Apr 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why not scrap the check marks altogether and go with the flow

I already have. 🙂

Even better idea

For anyone I'm going to let close... I only care who you voted for in 2016 primary & general. And yes I do ask. (I have cancer so if you didn't support me then, you don't need me in your life ever. I will admit, sad but true.)

@MogwaiPR hurt a bit today. Busy testing season at the end of the school year. Lots of time on my leg. BUT... I'm going to live (with cancer as a chronic illness) so this summer will be all about learning how to do that. 😉

I have two lists. One is red flags, the other is what I want. Obviously I’m not gonna give up my red flags list on a dating site. My what I want list is getting smaller and smaller all the time. The one constant that remains is a man’s ability to finish this poem. “Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night.” It’s that simple. It’s really not about religion. So don’t get scared. Don’t Google it! lol Generally I know if he knows the poem he’s probably my kind a guy. It’s a start anyway.

is gonna die like everything else, it’s his only right
Lol

Sorry, but I can't walk away from a movie trivia question. I'm pretty sure that is has to do with Wolfbane blooming and The Wolfman. The old gypsy lady recited it to Larry Talbot. I promise I didn't google it, otherwise I'd know the whole thing. Might've been something about the moon also. Did I win? Or was it from "Mamma Mia"?

It never crossed my mind to do so. Well, no theists or new agey types, but that’s a given.

Like a software that requires minimum Windows 95.

I have a reject list,
so the same, but in reverse

same

Looks like I am in the minority here. I’ve recently added a checklist to keep me from walking in blind. I’m a far too accepting person. I can love just about anyone. It’s been a problem. My list includes red flags and personality requirements that were an issue in past relationships. They aren’t required to hit all the wants, but I do look at the percentage they fill and use the list as a guide when I ask questions to get to know them.

Checklist no. But I have learned that there is requirements that vary depending on the person.

Right! I used to think I had a type. But, now I don't feel like I have to have a type, I just know when someone is NOT my type. I do have a couple of deal breakers though.

Yes, but just like once I'm at the grocery store, I'll come back with a bunch of things not on my list, and often forget several things I needed to buy. 🙂

This ? lol

I have never had a "check list" personality has always been my "Priority"

Coldo Level 8 Apr 21, 2018

I like a checklist, but it isn't realistic for people. If you change the dynamic from demands to desires then more options exist.

I like a practical checklist of bare minimums such as: not being a serial killer, not being a pedophile, not having anger problems and abusive behaviors, having a good work ethic, and being loyal and respective of people. After that, amongst some other bare minimums, you can try to develop relationships with anyone.

I don't have a checklist so much as a list of things that if someone is into it means I like them much more and when someone starts showing and mentioning things that I really like or have always wanted in a partner I make a mental note of it. I never really have anything go anywhere because I am clueless with flirting but I still keep my mental notes lol

I think a combination of qualities can lead to attraction, sometimes unexpectedly when something you thought you wanted is absent in the person. I evaluate on a case by case basis!

All the people who have meant something to me never came off a checklist. It was like when they showed up and as I got to know them I just sort of "knew." As it should be -- the best relationships happen organically, a feeling that "this is just right.'

Life is too short to make checklists for everything. I like to take risks every now and then, and have met some decent people along the way by doing so.

I have more of an idea of what I want to experience, for example, connection, laughter, great places to hike together, fun, intellectual stimulation, harmony.....so it is a list but not of qualities of the person..but what I bring to table that someone might l I'm e to experience too.

I have certain things that I know I'm not willing to compromise on but I try to keep an open mind about looking for potential partner.

I am about chemistry. If it isn't there all that other shit doesn't matter. l find different things charming and captivating in each woman l am attracted to, and it is seldom the same thing in each person. Intelligence and humor are a must. I am not talking genius, just no ignorant rednecks. I have spent too much of my life around those folks and l spend as little time around them as possible.

No

No never, it starts with 'fancying' someone. One can and does fancy the oddest people so having a shopping list is, for me at least, a waste of time 🙂

If you are a Trump supporter, hit the back button NOW.

I'm seeking an athletic, intelligent man with a great sense of humor who treats me with respect and kindness. Conversation and witty banter delight me. Although I'm a good cook, I want a man who also cooks. Everyone loves to hear those magic words: "Dinner is served."

Shared recreational activities are a bonding experience for couples. That's why I want a man who also loves hiking.

In a sense quite but in general I don't go looking for partners but if I find someone attractive and compatible with me I'll generally see what else we have that's compatible or desirable.

I don't, but I should.

I just go with if I find them interesting and attractive. There are red flags (Trump supporters) that would definitely stop me from dating someone , but I don't really have a checklist.

Only for certain things.

Ex: Must like/tolerate cats as I’m not getting rid of them.

Nah. I just check off the "deal breakers".
Astrology, Anti Vaccers, Single-hair phobes, Have to talk every second, Andrew Lloyd Weber fans ...
After that, I just sit back and learn, and hope THEY don't have a "deal breaker" list of their own. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:63078
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.