Agnostic.com

6 4

Why Is Conservative Comedy So… Not Very Good? - SOME MORE NEWS

JJ-Baltazar 6 Nov 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All comedy makes fun of somebody. Good comedy makes fun of someone who deserves it, but conservatives can't identify who deserves it because it's themselves.

As has been noted elsewhere here, too little empathy or even camaraderie.
Too much punching down vs punching up.🙂

And (largely because of that) it has been the opposite of clever. It has been pretty much all direct cheap shots.

The reason why a left wing commentator doesn't find a conservative comedian funny is because it's easy to be offended when the joke is about what you believe. Some right wing voters appear to find everything amusing if it contemns the left. Some left wing voters delight in the misfortune of those on the right.

Oh, and it's because they're not funny.

It's for the same reason old men think the three stooges are funny.
It gets worse as you go back through history.
At the "Joust" of the Middle Ages they would sometimes tie a cat to a stick then stick him in a bonfire and the crowd would laugh. It was like going to the comedy club for them.
Some of us have developed enough empathy now to not find humor in cruelty, but certainly not all of us.
If we are to survive that empathy has to become synonymous with being human or we will kill ourselves through war or by ignorance and doing something like poisoning ourselves, like we almost did with Teflon and refrigerants that eat ozone.
We must also transcend being "physical" oriented creatures, not in a religious way, like all those ships and freight trains are about us getting physical materials from where they are found to where we are. It's why bosses have little tolerance for people not coming into the office. The pandemic proved we can work from home, saving time, resources, and stress. For me this was no problem, I'm ready for G666 @@ networking brain to brain, or spend all my time on computers.
Life is about knowledge and information, not possession and proximity.
Now convince someone that possesses a shit ton of stuff and has proximity to paying for the rule changes necessary to have even more proximity to their possessions.
This phase should last 350 to 500 years, I hope we survive, we haven't even figured out CO2 yet at a socially responsible level.

@@(Play on G5, but it also fucks with Christians, a hobby of mine)

I haven't thought the Three Stooges were funny since elementary school.

Well said

The Stooges were funny... when I was 10. Or maybe 9.

I think your alluding to them hits the nail on the head, since the people who find this shit funny had their sense of humor fossilized at that age, when we don't really think about, "Would I like it if I were whacked on the head with a mallet?" and then decide, in that case, we shouldn't do it to other people either.

I started watching the 3 Stooges as a child. It's been a lifelong thing for me.

Because most conservatives these days have no sense of humor. The height of hilarity was apparently Trump mocking a disabled person. What they refer to as jokes is really just insulting people who aren't there to fight back.

Because it's stupid, about a 2nd grade level stupid.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:631778
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.