Agnostic.com

7 3

Is anyone else into genealogy or DNA testing?

It's a hobby of mine. I've made some amazing discoveries in my family tree and via DNA.

My mom and dad divorced when I was 3 years old. I never saw him again. I was able to track him down via a DNA test on Ancestry. Unfortunately, he didn't want anything to do with me and died from cancer last February. However, I met my two half sisters for the first time in July. It's been a crazy year.

SteveB 7 Dec 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

yep did the national geographic genome project which after an outlay of 100 $ and a donation of a swab you are given a map of the world which shows the route your tribe took to get to where you're from , from the rift valley kenya. too cool . My wife did hers too [ girls can only do the mothers side whereas the boys can choose mum or dad] my tribe left africa and headed to siberia turning back to the alps and splitting in to 3 the irish third being me basque spain and brittany being the other 2. My wifes populated the whole of africa but one small strain went up the med coast and landed in croatia

I come from a Mormon family, so hey are really to genealogy, but I am not. They traced my ancestry back to royal house in 5th Century Austria and Scotland.

I am curious about DNA testing though. The costs woudl need to come down quite a bit more and the analysis be more detailed before Id' be willing to shell out for it though. I am not so interested in ancestry so much as wha tmy genes indicate about myself.

DNA testing will only give the two outliers. Here is a piece done by 60 minutes.

Yes. I have used Ancestry.com and its DNA service 23andme. I have been able to trace my lineage on my mother's side back to Switzerland in the 1400s, and my father's side back to coming into this country as German immigrants arriving in this country around 1750.

The DNA analysis was also revealing in two senses. First it showed I am mostly from European lineage -- mainly Germanic English, and Scotch-Irish -- but also with 3 percent Neanderthal, 1.0 percent Scandinavian, 1.0 percent southern European (probably Spanish), and traces of Bantu (African), and American Indian (either Pima or Aztec) From the percentages I believe that I had a Spanish ancestor in Mexico in the 1500s who had a child with an Aztec, and that line shortly afterward shifted to Jamaica to include ancestor from a Black slave.

In addition, the hereditary medical info is priceless.

Yes, I did that through 23 and Me. Interesting, and it was close to the family oral history. 100% European with the majority English/Irish (over 60%), with Scandinavian, German, French, and Spanish thrown into the mix. 278 Neanderthal markers of which I am proud. Oh, that wasn't part of the family's oral tradition.

Some parents are like that. :/ Sorry about that. I hope you can have a good relationship with your sisters.

As for me, I've only become interested in it recently because I would like to find out why all of my kids have something wrong with them. My oldest has learning disabilities. My second has Asperger (now it's just ASD). My third has Celiac Disease. My fourth is gifted but has...well, other things going on. And my youngest is also Autistic. I like to joke that my ex is a vassal for Satan but that doesn't get me any answers. 😀

That's amazing. Me and my wife did it with 23 and me. Do they check against ancestory.com? We've found cousins but that's about it. I found out I have a lot of Neanderthal which explains a lot and some African which I don't believe because my ass is white as elmer's glue. My wife's mother thought she was an only child until a year ago. Long story short her mother had a son when she was 16 and gave it up, the family kept the secret and moved from Louisiana to where we live today. Her mother is 65 and never knew she had a brother. I thought was pretty shity of her grandmother. Hate it about your father.

The woman had no choice. She was most likely shamed and beaten and told such horrible things about herself. Then there was the added trauma of having to give the child up and never being able to speak about him again. I hate to say this but you need to get a little compassion, maybe some understanding of what it was like to be a young girl in such a situation in the "good old days." In those days....shuddder my great-aunt was caught kissing a boy and my great-grandfather beat her so badly. When my great-grandmother tried to intervene he beat her. She had to remain married to him because there was no way out for a woman. A little knowledge of history goes a long way. Don't continue to shame the poor woman when she's not even around to defend herself.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6323
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.