Agnostic.com

4 9

LINK Tauros | Rewilding Europe

"As the ancestor of all domesticated cattle, it is hard to think of a more important animal in the history of mankind than the auroch. Once widespread across Europe, it was a keystone species within many of the continent’s ecosystems. But by 1627 this impressive animal had been hunted to extinction across its entire range. The auroch may be long gone, yet all is not lost."

"Today strands of its DNA remain alive, distributed among a number of ancient cattle breeds that still exist across Europe. Rewilding Europe, together with the Dutch Taurus Foundation, in 2013 embarked on a programme to bring the auroch back to life."
[truenaturefoundation.org]
[a-z-animals.com]

AnonySchmoose 8 Nov 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What we, as humans are doing to the World’s Animals is a Tragedy .

GEGR Level 7 Nov 14, 2021

Definitely a tragedy and a crime.
😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢

I saw a piece on this in a Nova presentation..awesome!!

My housemate told me about that. What magnificent creatures.

It was the type of bull use in Crete for the bull jumping rituals, it is thought. And since it was not a native of Crete, somehow someone had to get them there using stone/bronze age shipping technology. Is it any wonder that they painted pictures of them all over their walls, and prized them in their sporting games. They probably bought calves to begin with, but even so it must have been some achievement.

Aurochs are thought to be the ancestors of Zebu cattle.

Zebu bull seal -- 2700-2000 BCE

@AnonySchmoose and Zebus look like Brahmas.

@Lorajay
Yes... they really do.

@AnonySchmoose when we raised cattle we would often breed a cow the first time to a brahma bull because the calves are so much smaller even though the cows themselves are bigger

@Lorajay
How kind to heifers.

Awesome

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 12, 2021
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:633529
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.