Agnostic.com

3 7

Fun with the crazy the English language.
”Why does night fall but never breaks but day breaks but never falls?”

”Why is it when we transport something by car we call it shipping but when we transport somethi8ng by ship we call it cargo?”

”Why does a man get a hernia and a woman a hysterectomy?”

”Why do we put cups in the dishwasher but dishes in the cupboard?”

”Why in our crazy language, can your nose run and your feet smell?”

”Why is it that a woman can man a station but a man can’t woman one, that a man can father a movement but a woman can’t mother one and that a king rules a kingdom but a queen doesn’t rule a queendom?”

”Why can you call a woman a mouse but not a rat, a kitten but not a cat. Why is it that a woman can be a vision but not a sight – unless your eyes hurt then she’s a sight for sore eyes?”

”In stadium, why are the seats called stands, when they’re made for sitting?”

”Why do they call food servers waiters when it’s the customers who do all the waiting?”

”Why is the person to whom you entrust your hard earned savings called a broker?”

”Why do six, seven, eight and nine change to sixty, seventy, eighty and ninety but two, three and five not become twoty, threety and fivety?”

”Why is first degree murder more serious than a third degree murder but a third degree burn is more serious than a first degree one?”

”Why is brassiere singular but panties plural?”

”Why does the word monosyllabic consist of 5 syllables?”

And many more

JackPedigo 9 Nov 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One of the hardest things people new to the language find to learn, is why the adjectives have to be in order. Why can I have ? A large heavy green plastic box. But not. A plastic green heavy large box.

Why? English is a bastarded language.

It's fun playing with oxymoron.

I love it! Earlier this year I lived briefly in a community with a large percentage of the population being Mennonite. I was on the phone with my mother and she almost fell over laughing when I told her that most of the people living in apartments around me were womennites.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:634626
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.