Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don’t have any kids yourself.

OutlawJosie 6 Dec 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thanks for posting that. I had need of it and couldn't remember all of it or who by, Ta

Josie, well first of all "Larkin" is an Irish name- and he sounds like me- rather sick and disenchanted. My parents were rather stupid, but no one woke them up- what choice did they have?

And I am Irish------ from so many centuries ago. Thanks for picking an Irish poet- nasty and mean (also honest)

Bravo! Wise words.

Larkin lived to a decent age and so this is very much tongue in cheek. His poetry is not usually full of expletives but does capture a certain type of thoughtful irony to life.

Brilliant,unfortunately I passed on the misery to my one and only daughter ; )

She is doing fine in life though to be honest

Vince, glad your daughter is doing fine---- mine isn't! NOOOO there was none of that super sick crap---- but there was no 'love'. 'That' is so important! It was soooo important that I break the succession of bull shit, but I didn't even know it- or know how.

Sorry to hear that.You are right about the love bit,thats all children need really,my daughter taught me that,but I' m sure I have not given her enough but I didn't get a whole lot as a child either so it is infectious.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6385
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.