Agnostic.com

4 2

LINK More Education, Less Gun Violence - TheHumanist.com

People often blame mental illness for mass shootings—especially when a shooter is white—but according to mentalhealth.gov, “people with severe mental illnesses are over ten times more likely to be victims of violent crime” such as police shootings. We need more education about mental health and available services for all to ensure proper diagnosis and treatment, destigmatize mental health, identify warning signs, and prevent violence. We all should learn how to better manage communication, coping skills, anger, stress, depression, and other issues so we can de-escalate situations before guns are used. Social and emotional intelligence training must be supported and mandated at the federal and private levels, especially for teachers.

zblaze 7 Apr 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No profit in it.

Gun violence is overwhelmingly a socialization problem, not a mental health issue. Yes, some mentally challenged people will resort to gun violence, but this a red herring. Social skill is something that is sorely lacking in America and other parts of the globe. That said, gun control is an issue that cannot be resolved when the USA is swimming in guns.

I am 100% in agreement

You have to read the Driver's Manual and pass a written test and a driving test to get a driver's license. Perhaps we should require a testing procedure before someone can own a gun.

Good luck convincing the NRA and their congressional lackeys of that.

You can check your stats and see that Gun deaths are rising and auto deaths are falling. @NotConvinced

You are correct. Too many congressmen are bought and paid for by the NRA.@jlynn37

@NotConvinced You're right, of course. We lived in Germany when my younger children were in preschool and elementary school, and they teach them right of way from the beginning, starting with pedestrian rules and leading to bike traffic rules. It's no surprise then, when I was in an auto accident, that the other driver immediately jumped out of his car and claimed fault because I clearly had right of way. Another thing Germany is very good at is instilling a strong sense of personal responsibility.

Good point @NotConvinced

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:63866
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.