Agnostic.com

4 2

LINK …but the people are retarded - YouTube

How should ideas win?

Is it better for a people to collectively suffer the consequences of burning down its own house together in a majority will, or rather evade impending disaster by circumventing that democratically established majority? Assuming that doing the latter would potentially create additional crises down the road. I've had this discussion with several associates, and the answers were much more in the leaning of anti-democratic than I had expected. Particularly when it came to matters of longevity and survival.

What are your thoughts on the democratic process and where we are headed as a people and a planet? Is it better for a collective to learn through self-destruction and reconstruction, or for the grapple of power to engage in forced preservation?

summatyme 7 Dec 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Definitely one of the most interesting questions I've seen posed on this site, and probably one of the most difficult to answer.

One thing to keep in mind is... humans tend to be dichotomous thinkers but reality is rarely so dichotomous. It may not require an either/or answer.

The U.S. founding fathers (and subsequent movers and shakers) were pretty knowledgeable and aware of human nature. They worked some of the solution to this problem into the constitution. They made sure there were checks and balances.

For starters, they made sure our republic was not a pure democracy. Wise.
They created every opportunity for the elite (not fair, but whaddya gonna do) to hang on to some levers of power, the electoral college being an example, as a buffer against mob rule. How well that particular mechanism is serving is another question, but it could serve as such a buffer. And democracy or no, the powerful (wealthy) will always have more influence than the powerless. The flipside of that coin is that the poor will always outnumber the rich by revolutionary proportions, so it will probably always be a messy tug-o-war like the one between evolving viruses and evolving medical technology.

Where are Plato's Philosopher Kings when we need them!

I'm guessing the backdrop for this post is impending climate doom. For any lesser problem I'd tend to trust the democratic process over setting dictatorial precedents. For climate catastrophe... a benevolent dictator would probably be necessary to turn things around in time, but it ain't likely to be turned around by much of anything at this point I guess. So onward with messy checks, balances, and the dubious wisdom of hindsight.

I hope you'll share your thoughts.

skado Level 9 Dec 15, 2021

Authoritarianism is not a place I will willingly accept, in fact I prefer direct action to slothful acquiesce..

Authoritarianism is very subjective and tends to lay more easily with the unthinking small minded portion of society.

@Sofabeast I guess you mean MAGAts and Upper Class Idiots( ty M.Python)

@Charlene Indeed, but having studied the subject closely academically I can support my statement scientifically.
Interesting that when I was studying as a mature student (I say mature, but I still find fart noises funny) MAGA were enjoying the late stages of Trump's presidency. Then using that information predicted the problems with his hand over when studying American politics.
I live about 30 minutes away from one of his Scottish golf courses.

@Sofabeast hmmm, thought y'all were gonna seize that property for back taxes..

@Charlene Not yet, but he has pissed off the Scottish government. Nice big wind farm about a mile out to sea by his course.
Something else he probably is unaware of is, the golf course and buildings are his, but he land belongs to the Scots and held intrust for the Scottish peoples by 'Thee Crowne'. That means we can wander all over it providing we not not interfere with the business.
As for tax, Balmedie/Meenie links is still in debt, so no tax to pay yet. The government has had a huge new road built just by the front entrance, effectively cutting it off.
He has a very and large Pakistani family living just by the front entrance where they run their vehicle reclamation and repair business. They were there first! Very orthodox Islam.

There are no lessons that haven't been learned before, probably several times.

And forgotten several times.

@Sticks48 ya know, i find it so odd that one can get up & yell & wave arms pointing out the similarities from " whenever" & get....crickets.

The collective people are not retarded.

“A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.” ― K, Men in Black

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:639297
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.