Agnostic.com

34 1

Atheist principles - would atheists be interested in listing basic atheist principles?

Atheists are by nature not open to being told what is right or wrong but through personal experience and indeed actual studies they are generally more moral than theists. What would the community of atheists feel about a book that communicated basic human morality as an atheist that would be beneficial for everyone for social and progressive reasons? Would they support a standardized moral code? What would that look like? Would it need to be rigid or change over time and be fluid? Is there anything out there that is comparable already? Is it accessible, like readable for the masses?

• 5 votes
  • 19 votes
  • 12 votes
CK-One 6 Apr 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm beginning to believe that those who cannot accept that atheism's meaning is merely no god belief, are frustrated agnostics. It is similar to non related blue eyed people having nothing in common at all except for a recessive gene, needing a moral code or something similar. You can be totally moral or amoral and be a theist or an atheist. It has no reflection on either.

We have a constitution, we have laws and by-laws, we have a society we live in with unwritten rules that we could live by. And these could change if we collectively think they need to be changed. Our world is evolving around us. We no longer live in the dark ages with witch hunts and most countries have moved on from death penalties. I hope that gives enough of an answer.

Just be good to one another and enjoy this life. I don't believe the principles need to be written down like a guide. We need to discover these things ourselves and understand why, not just blindly follow some code. We've seen how that can be a bad thing.

That would be contrary to human nature, such confinments lead to mental disorder. Social compliance disorder is what I call it. Telling people what they believe is hurtful. It's likely akin to gaslighting.

It would have to be done right. Nothing dogmatic. I don't need somebody makeing spritual rules for me.

I could have voted for all those answers. They all have their place.

Ethics are solely principles meant to propagate the species that's it that's all

I think a casual, light-toned, mildly self-depreciating book about morality as an atheist would be good simply for something to quote passages from, to hold up as a general ideal when people accuse atheists of devil-worship and baby eating. But anything that attempts to be a comprehensive, definitive work is asking for trouble. So I voted maybe.

I live my life on myvrerms.

The one and only:

To know right from wrong and to act accordingly.

Not sure that everyone knows right from wrong. In fact, I'm sure that some don't know the difference.

@ck-one true... And religion is not going to teach them so.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:64002
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.