Agnostic.com

3 8

You know that pic of wolves walking in snow?

Nice sentiments...but not based on good science!

The real wolf-studying folk did some research on it and found this out.

[wolf.org]

CAPTION ATTACHED TO PHOTO OF WOLVES TRAVELING THROUGH SNOW AS A PACK IS FALSE
This popular photo has been circulating around the Internet for many years now.

The photograph is typically accompanied with a caption that reads like this: But scientists found out this isn't fact-based;

Robecology 9 Dec 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I feel it's best to have a leadership team, meaning a leader in front and just as importantly the sweeper at the end to make sure nobody is left behind and aware of any injuries in the middle pack.

My comment is for humans hiking in a group, with first aid kits, etc., not wolves.

Except that the Leader is usually a She....

Not a confirmed scientific fact;

"One of the outdated pieces of information is the concept of the alpha wolf. “Alpha” implies competing with others and becoming top dog by winning a contest or battle. However, most wolves who lead packs achieved their position simply by mating and producing pups, which then became their pack.

In other words they are merely breeders, or parents, and that’s all we call them today, the “breeding male,” “breeding female,” or “male parent,” “female parent,” or the “adult male” or “adult female.” In the rare packs that include more than one breeding animal, the “dominant breeder” can be called that, and any breeding daughter can be called a “subordinate breeder.”

The "leader of the pack" sex isn't determined according to studies I've seen. Let's see yours?

This is rarely the case with humans. Usually the leader takes care of themself first, second, and third, takes every advantage of others, sacrifices anyone who shows any weakness, and kicks the old and sick out on the street without a second thought.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:640623
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.