Agnostic.com

4 3

lol.. Perhaps something to chew on. If the universe has no beginning, then it has no edges

hankster 9 Dec 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A Möbius strip has no beginning and it has one edge.

an infinitely wide mobius strip don't.

maybe a circular mobius strip or a circular helix mobius.....hmmm.

@hankster That's an interesting concept.

Even as the universe is expanding, seems to me there would be an edge, though it's a moving edge. My thoughts on the "beginning" of the universe is that it's likely more of a "re-beginning" from the collapse of a previous universe, but I'm not a scientist.

An edge such as you describe would require the universe to be expanding into some other space. As far as I know, we have no evidence either for or against the existence of such other space. While it may seem counterintuitive, rulers in an expanding universe will grow without the universe itself needing to expand into something that is external to the universe.

@anglophone Perhaps it's expanding into the collapse of a previous universe. I don't know. Just thinking out loud, since it's so far unknown and fun to think about.

Yes, finite but unbounded is the current thinking last I checked.

maybe, I'm not thinking finite or infinite just existing or not.

That is even included in some versions of the Big Bang theory.

how? the bb has a beginning don't it?

@hankster No it is only the beginning of the local universe, the multiverse beyond it may have lasted forever. While it could be infinite in space as well, according to some thought, the edges where we see the cosmic background are caused only by, the limit of time for light to travel stopping us seeing further, our local bubble beyond which there may be alliens seeing other local bubbles out to infinity

@Fernapple hmmm...my model is a single "bubble" except there are no bubbles, there is no other than this universe, no beyond. just an existence is on or off. so its on. no edges, no outside.

@hankster That is also accepted by many, as are several other versions.

@Fernapple @hankster I guess it is almost a philosophical question: we have an observable universe (which appears to be finite), but how might we think about anything that is beyond the limit of observability imposed by both time and space?

@anglophone anything beyond this universe is imaginary. there is no nothingness there. there is no there.

@hankster Much within the universe is imaginary, cosmology has not as yet moved much beyond the hypothesis stage, about many things.

@Fernapple of course it is. i suppose I'm letting my imagination run with it while i can.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:641759
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.