Agnostic.com

13 2

The hobo life

Was curious
Who on here has ever hopped a fright train

Johanvail 4 Apr 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Way back when, long before 9/11, my cousins and I were in Sparks, NV. We wandered over to the tracks and noticed one of the trains moving very, very slowly, and then coming to a stop. All three of us impulsively climbed on one of the metal ladders and held on when the train started to move again. It stopped after a few seconds, and I climbed down after a fifty foot ride, never to board a freight again. Does that count? 😛

No lol

@Johanvail No wonder my membership card never came in the mail!

Last time I took the freight it was all along the Arkansas river going under the royal gorge bridge very scenic
I do commend you for even riding it

I have not but I have done a lot of traveling

Had a daughter that did that. Most stressful year of my life. I'm pretty sure she was trying to kill me. She says it was just a great adventure. Uh huh...

Very cool stories
What we did when we were young
I always went for the scenic train rides
Once through the redwoods of northern cal
Last one was from minturn to pueblo in Colorado

I have hopped trains as a kid for very short rides but never as a hobo.

My sister and I hitchiked from Post Falls, Idaho, to Spokane, Washington and hopped on the train from there.

Worst pain I've ever felt was when I was sleeping and the train stopped - sliding my body, head first into the wall of the train. It was there that they came around with flashlights and said "Everybody out - ride's over." I think we were somewhere between the tri-cities and Portland. It's a good memory.

From there we hitchhiked to the San Fernando Valley.

How did you do all of that hitchiking? Did you have money saved up or did you just go? How do you get around the whole eating part?

@MeOhMy We used our thumbs for the hitchiking, money to pay for food, and there really isn't getting around eating, is there? There are plenty of restaurants, diners, and fast food joints in Washington, Oregon and California.

I did a lot of Hitch Hiking in my younger days. Its a more direct way of travel.

Never hopped a fright train but I have hopped a freight train. I dated a professional hobo for a while

How does a hobo go pro?

I didn't notice that.

@shockwaverider he had a home, phone, and plenty of job offers, he just prefered living like a hobo. Like the wind. Free and untamed.

L 😀 L!

Freight train yes I can spell lol

I had a friend in high school who lived 10 miles away, we would hop a slow slow train heading that way and ride the flat cars almost to his doorstep. After we got our driver's licenses that stopped.

i love travelling by train, have never been afraid of them.

Not me.

For a short distance when I was a kid. The town I grew up in was full of trains, mostly slow moving coal trains. We used to have to climb through them sometimes when they were sitting for a long time, so it was a small step (pun intended) from that to hopping one.

Yup.
And lived out of a backpack - walking.
And out of my car - tent & camp gear.
All by choice. Met some cool people, had a good time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:64269
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.