Agnostic.com

4 2

What do you think about a totalitarian regime where only secularism is allowed e.g. Tajikistan?

optimist 4 Oct 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That is an awful concept, and it flies in the face of my secular beliefs. Secularism, in my opinion, isn't a mandate to believe a particular philosophy. I respect peoples freedom to think crazy and bizarre things that are unsupported by the evidence, and I wouldn't live in a country that forced a worldview, even a worldview I accept as good. It may sound hypocritical because, on the one hand, I spend so much time trying to convince people that their ideology is messed up and yet, on the contrary, I claim I wouldn't live in a country that mandated my secular beliefs. It's a want vs an instance. I want people to be more rational, I want people to think more critically, I want people to embrace science, but I'm not going to live in a society that would mandate how people choose to think or feel.

I don't think countries can win a war of ideas. Totalitarian regiems in any form are bad, but how would you feel about a democracy where the majority outlaws a religion?

respect>fear. i want to win theist over with reason. Sam Harris 2020!

I wouldn’t want want to live under those conditions. I agree with atheist and Bikersurfer: Secular humanism, and the freedom to think what we want.

im against it, you should only fight bad ideas with good ones and neither affiliation should have a totalitarian strangle hold on thought and conduct

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:643
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.