Agnostic.com

1 4

LINK Roofing giant takes on Tesla to make solar roof shingles more affordable

When Elon Musk unveiled the Tesla Solar Roof in 2016, it was the first that many people had heard of solar shingles. But the idea of a roofing product that can both generate energy and blend in with regular asphalt shingles has been around for decades.

Companies from Dow Chemical Company to the now defunct BP Solar have given the solar shingle a shot, but many of these products are no longer on the market. Solar shingles have been expensive to manufacture and install, and are not yet as efficient as regular solar panels. That’s kept them from breaking into the mainstream.

Now GAF Energy, the sister company to one of the largest roofing companies in the world and a division of privately held Standard Industries, is launching a new solar shingle effort. It just released a product called Timberline Solar, which the company says will be cheaper and more reliable than Tesla’s Solar Roof. It just won the Best of Innovation Award for Smart Cities at CES.

snytiger6 9 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's interesting to hear that the idea of solar shingles has been around for decades. But companies have struggled with making them cost-effective and efficient enough to compete with traditional solar panels. The launch of GAF Energy's Timberline Solar is an exciting development. It's also noteworthy that GAF Energy is a sister company to one of the largest roofing companies in the world. I've never used their services, as I'm a regular client of Indianapolis roof company, but I heard good reviews. Winning the Best of Innovation Award for Smart Cities at CES is a positive sign for the potential success of Timberline Solar. It will be interesting to see how it performs in the market.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:643101
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.