Agnostic.com

4 6

The Union for Concerned Scientists USA has made a political statement. Maybe this will show some in congress how unified we are becoming on the issue of politics in 2022. [ucsusa.org]
*"I imagine you are joining me in reflecting on today's grim milestone as we pass one year from the Insurrection on January 6, 2021. This attempt to overturn the presidential election was a serious threat to national security and a blatant attack on the basic fabric of our democracy.

It is unfathomable that a year has passed and we not only haven't seen meaningful measures of accountability nor protections from an insurrection (or worse) happening again, but we have actually seen a ramp up in state-level voter suppression laws and politically motivated disinformation and violence."*

JackPedigo 9 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Dammit, when did the 1787 Founders’ plutocratic oligarchy become “our democracy”?

Common sense doesn't apply in DC

Great letter. It's becoming real clear how much danger we're in so I don't think we can press this point hard enough. If we don't win this election then climate change has zero chance of being addressed by us. We will die, as a species, slaves of Theocrats and Oligarchs or have to do what they did last year. Voting Dem for everything seems so much easier and correctable after the danger is over.To do otherwise is somewhat treasonous.

Watching the various news stations it seems the stops are being pulled and it's full steam ahead to fight those that would and have been destroying this country. It's going to be an interesting time until next Nov. We are in a sort of civil war and we need to fight dirty (to the GOP). We need to use the truth, non-violence and the full extent of the laws.

@JackPedigo I think there was a collective hope that the fever would die down, by now, but it's gaining veracity. Alarms have gone off and everyone's aware. Most are onboard so knowing our govt is gives me hope.

Extremely difficult to understand how voter suppression is allowed in America.

It is profitable for the richest in the country.

The problem is that the constitution is out of date. Things that were normal over 200 years ago are not today. Even Jefferson recognized the fact that the Constitution had to change with the times but the founders made it so hard to get an amendment it has not kept pace. States have the right to set their own voting rules and we know where that has gotten us. The civil war has shown how much states rights can interfere with the whole country and now we have become more polarized than ever and many states refuse to let go of their, so called, state-constitutional rights.

@JackPedigo
Very discouraging but if enough people object together maybe the constitution can be changed.
It and America need to be changed.

@AnonySchmoose Problem is, a majority of states have to ratify the change.

@JackPedigo
Like with the ERA... many states are too backward a mentality.

@AnonySchmoose Perhaps the problem is, when we are able to change things it's not the time but when the time comes it's too late to make the needed changes.

@JackPedigo
That sounds like a stumbling block intentionally put in the way of equal rights of whatever kind.

@AnonySchmoose Intentionally, by whom or what? It was just my take on things I have seen and experienced. The adage 'hindsight is 20/20.'

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:643795
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.