Agnostic.com

8 1

How do you respond to criticism?

If you make a comment or post an argument and someone responds to you with constructive criticism, do you get offended and defensive or do you take the time to consider the criticism and possibly change your views? Be honest.

• 3 votes
  • 16 votes
paul1967 8 Oct 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think everyone gets at least a little defensive, but I tend to look at any points made to see if there is any truth to the asserted criticism, and if so, I look to make changes.

Criticism, if it is given in a constructive and non-hostile (name calling, insults) manner can be a great way for one to grow. We seldom view ourselves as others do so it can be a good way for one to step out of an egocentric position.

Well stated and I agree. People need to control their emotion and not be embarrassed about being wrong especially when the one correcting you is offering you a better answer. It can be uncomfortable having something I've said that was inaccurate being pointed out, but when it happens, I just remember It's a gift of new information. I never need to worry about being wrong on this issue again. I've learned something, and I've removed another thing, that thing I was incorrect about is now gone.

It really depends on where the criticism is coming from, the intention and the way it is delivered. If it is constructive and the person criticizing me is trying to help me improve, I'm all for listening and considering their perspective. If they're just trying to be mean, I just ignore them. I'm way to self assured and have too much self worth to worry about what others that aren't trying to be helpful think. 🙂

I've been in martial arts most of my adult life. I'm used to frequent critique only balanced rarely with a little praise. Sometimes outside of practice I get a little pang when I'm criticised, but I snap back as quickly as possible. If the information is useful, I am thankful for the input. If it is not, I let it go and move on.

I think that is a sincere answer. Respect.

Thank you

No problem in me. I is ok to me people step my face no problem. If they happy in that good to them. I get lesson well good. I no angry. I scare get angry. I big man. I me the Hulk

Depends on the feedback, and the person offering it. I take various factors into consideration including, but not limited to:

1. Does this person have a history of finding fault in my posts or comments?

2. Are they trying to indulge, but lack an understanding of my intent? (Am I being silly, serious, etc)

3. Is my/their ego interfering with our ability to effectively communicate? (Sometimes people “flash” their formal or informal education (“credentials&rdquo😉, and experience in a manner that can seem arrogant to others, who may or may not be similarly “qualified”

4. How do they respond to others on the site? A. Respectfully B. Condescendingly C. Sarcastically, etc. If it’s not blatantly disrespectful or condescending to me, I “usually” assume that it’s just their way, and getting better acquainted could help.

5. There is always the possibility of ambiguity in communication; especially when there is such diversity (age, culture, gender, education, experience, personal interpretations, etc)

***In my view, asking and not assuming can help. We all have an inbox ????????

I like it. You giv good leson. You is good GoodMan teacher

Depends on how im criticized, but usually i try to understand the person or laugh it off

I say yes you is good answer and laugh yes good also

I need a 3rd category(or 4th?)- it depends on the person offering the criticism. If I respect the criticizer, I take what they say into consideration, and if they are being fair I might adjust my views accordingly. I have a friend who became a Benedictine monk (the kind that marries, apparently), and while we have very opposite religious views on the surface, he's a very smart, open-minded man. Occasionally my stance on particular issues becomes more nuanced thanks to our discussions. I know I cannot know ALL the facts on ALL subjects, so maybe I just don't have all the information I would want, and many of my friends do have professional expertise in areas I know far less about.
If I do not respect the criticizer or know they do not have enough knowledge or background experience to be better informed than I am, I don't get defensive but I do shift into 'teacher mode', dissecting their arguments and supporting evidence ruthlessly. If I know ahead of time that the criticizer won't handle such 'abuse' very well, I just ignore and dismiss them, for the health and safety of us both.
I'm not always so 'hard-core', of course; most strangers on social media and in person are just exchanging small-talk anyway, and not really offering serious arguments or criticism.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:645
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.