Agnostic.com

17 2

Jobs and age

What is the age where its unacceptable to quit your job?

MeOhMy 3 Apr 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Never. Life’s too short to waste time doing something that makes you unhappy. That being said, um if you got bills... you better have a plan B.

Essie Level 6 Apr 23, 2018

Age? none. Responsibilities? Yes, could be an issue. The point should be to make and save as much as possible, but to invest funds into passive income sources so you don't have to depend on a job to make your main income eventually. It should be taught in school financial independance, but the issue with that is consumers will stop consuming the things the top 1% depend on them to buy. There is a reason for such a delta, population wise, between the top 1% and the rest. Just my opinion of course...

There is no age where it is unacceptable to quit your job.

There are no circumstances where is it unacceptable to quit your job.

Depends on what the job is doing to you, and your plans after you quit. The question is a bit vague.

It's always acceptable to quit. I think this is pretty field and timing dependent. In tech, people quit all the time for a variety of reasons. If the market is hot, it is easy to find another job. I've often been headhunted. When I was a senior manager at KPMG Consulting / Bearingpoint, I got recruited into Oracle as a director. In my exit interview, my senior partner told me to come back in a year or two and she'd bring me in as a partner.

If you are in a field with limited options, then you have less flexibility.

Hmmm. 54. I say this because of where i worked. You can retire at 55 and start to draw your pension. If you die at 54 and havent started your paperwork to retire... your wife will loose your pension. Even though your vested in retirement for a large amount of years... lets say 20.... if you quit or get fired before your 55... you loose it till age 55. Then you can draw 50 percent. This is were i worked.

Are you sure that "if you quit or get fired before your 55... you loose it all" even if you are vested? The definition of "vested" means "its yours no matter what".

Maybe you should talk with a lawyer.

@R_Collins. Your right and ive been told wrong. A situation came up at work. A guy got fired at age 45... he had 25 years with the company. They said he lost his pension. He could draw it at age 55. It would only be worth 50 percent. 100 percent is at age 65. Hmmm... at age 54 a buddy died. His wife would of not got any of his if he hadnt of already started the paperwork.... a lot of confusing her but its straight now.

Kinda weird question? Lol. I submitted my retirement last week though. True story. Gonna live that sweet pension life on the beach in my solar paneled RV.

im so confused...why would your age determin if you should be able to quit your job?

Byrd Level 7 Apr 23, 2018

It is acceptabel at any age. Teh only difference age makes is tha as you get older, you probably need much better reasons to quit a job.

I don't think that there is an unacceptable age to ever quit a job. If you are unhappy and that job drains you, quit! But don't quit until you find another job first

when you have enough money and had enough or have another job to go too unless you want to live on the street. you can walk out right now if so.

The Dark Ages.

I've never quit before.

It's never unacceptable to quit your job, regardless of age. Do what makes you happy. If you find that you dislike your job at any point in your life, find a new one!

Not enough information. Management job holders seem to be able to quit and go elsewhere without any loss of pay or benifits. Unskilled, semi-skilled and skilled (i.g. macinists, etc.), often are told that the policy of the new company (or in the case of a Michigan teacher) is to drop them on step/level pay wise when they are hired. So, in order to give meaningful advice, you need to give a whole lot more information. Note that in management, it is common for a company to hire a "head hunter" to "steal" away a manager from another company.

After you've given notice that you're retiring?

Other than that, people of all ages leave jobs all the time.

13, you should be in school !

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:64508
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.