Agnostic.com

7 1

How many here have been or are Deist?

I am speaking specifically of one whom believes there may be a God/Gods but the said God/Gods do not actively intervene in the universe. Please explain for the sake of conversation.

• 3 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 10 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 3 votes
DavidLaDeau 8 Apr 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

debates about words again -doh!

One time I asked my 14 year old son if he had read a book that we were talking about he said "Yeah, it was just full of words".

"I can't think of how the universe could exist without being created by a god"

A god that doesn't interact with this world in any way and is undetectable is no different to a god that doesn't exist. Why would anyone believe in such a concept?

A least theist think that their god/s actually do something.

It is kinda the approach of " I don't know therefore god' It lends palusability to a creator of the universe that left the world as a bastard child in a since. This also conviently explains why there is evil in the world etc.

I see no valid reason to hold such a belief.

I believe it to be a good approach to questioning theism when coming from a theistic background. It works in the beginning but people tend to grow out of the idea. It was very popular at one time but the term for the most part is out of common usage.

Without evidence, there’s no reason to think this.

As I phrased it, It is the belief that god/gods MAY exist, thus leaving the possiblity much like an agnostic that Gods COULD exist. It was not the claim that they DO exist, in which case you are correct. This is a common transition from believer to unbeliever as people work out the problems of theism for themselves. Thank youi for the comment.

I was a deist in college. I guess it was simply a transition point from being Christian to an atheist. I started off believing the church stories, then I stopped believing them but still believed God existed, and then simply stopped believing in that god entirely.

I can't rule out the deist god entirely because it's impossible to prove that an uncaring god doesn't exist. So for that reason alone, I'm simply an agnostic atheist.

Ultimately, the label that fits me most snugly is apatheist. Even if God does exist, it doesn't care enough about our daily lives that anything I do will make a difference in whether I go to Heaven or not. And I see no evidence for a god anyway.

I did also for a very short time transition from theist to Deist and very shortly after i realized I was an antheist. I took me much longer to admit it to myself though.

There are too many things that can not be fully explained scientifically. There is too much purpose and reason in the world.

Interestingly enough most Founding Fathers of the US of A were Deist.
[en.wikipedia.org]

My son's middle name was given after Thomas Jefferson perhaps one of the best known deist aside of Benjaman Franklin.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:64535
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.