Agnostic.com

4 1

Hi
Does anyone know: On the question of debate about H.R. 1 (For the People Act) and H.R. 4 (John Lewis Voting Rights Act):
Have Republicans in the Senate weighed in with any specific objections? Has there been any attempt to discuss any of the fine points and see if there is any common ground and the possibility of revision or compromise?

kmaz 7 Jan 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

[theguardian.com]

"...CSPAN
@cspan
.@SenSchumer
: "The eyes of the nation will be watching what happens this week in the United States Senate...the Senate has begun the debate on the Freedom to Vote Act and the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act for the first time, the first time, in this Congress."...."

"...“The public is entitled to know where each senator stands on an issue as sacrosanct as defending our democracy. The American people deserve to see their senators go on record on whether they will support these bills or oppose them. Indeed, that may be the only way to make progress on this issue now -- for the public to see where each of us in this chamber stands.”...."

these quotes speak to part of why I started this thread. Up to this point, it has been too hard to know what the objections were and are. Let's hear more about those objections, win or lose.

Also, I believe that once most of those objections have been voiced, some of them may have enough merit to consider. In my view, sometimes in recent years Democrats have been somewhat unlistening. In those cases, the net result includes insufficient effort to discover and address objection points and whether there is any common ground that can be found. It's hard to say with full confidence that this is the case here because we've heard so little (in some respects) but we'll finally see in any event some increase in healthy public debate and discussion taking place on this matter, and that's a good thing.

kmaz Level 7 Jan 18, 2022

They just keep talking about not Federalizing the voting system (Mitt even said this when telling us that POTUS Joe has not called him about the bill). I don't think Mitt's lying, exactly, but he's effectively said that he can be talked to. That's more than any other 'publiCON, far as I know.

Those two bills, often mentioned by MSM, make voting easier and no Repub supports thems.

Other bills, mentioned only by NYT, make the vote counting more secure. Some Repubs support them.

Ask your congressmember for info.

The Republicans have no comment except to block all debate. Isn't that mature?

What we need is a commercial or YouTube depicting that debate showing in grim but real detail exactly what racists they are. It could show or reference past statements... If we show the Republicans as they are (like the Goldwater commercial), we might start winning some...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:645754
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.