Agnostic.com

4 3

I am trying not to pay to much attention to the news, but where ever I go I get more confused. I feel like I am being bounced back and forth between forces I cannot see. Nothing makes sense as no one seems to say the same thing. Viruses, keep mutating, keep killing people making them sick.
Each political party seems to know what to do but no one makes sense. One side cannot do anything and will not do anything to help anyone but the rich who are their supporters, The other side seems to have an agenda, but cannot tell people what they are doing or what is being done. Each party is stuck in the mud that is their policies.
We hear mention that there might be some conflict with Russia, China, yet we do not have a supply chain that can put things on the shelves in markets. I go to the store and there is no pet food, the shelves are bare but for one brand. Electronics is made in China, our medical supplies are made in China, or bridges are falling down under maintained, never kept care of. We have oil and are one of the worlds largest exporters, yet gas is over four dollars a gallon.
I am a builder of homes and furniture, I build things that will last for many generations. I am having trouble paying my bills, the economy is so bad even the rich are not spending.
The people who want to spend their money on things that last are not spending. I am not the only one who is affected in this manner, we all are and it does not seem like anyone really wants to do anything about it.
Anyone have any thoughts on this, or do we just let what is happening happen?

dalefvictor 8 Jan 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Its called a perfect storm. And it may have a long way to go yet before it blows itself out. But they do end. And in the meantime all I can say, as a foreigner looking at the big picture from a distance, is that, US democracy has always been strong, and people will not forget that. So that even if fascism, vodoo, anti-environmentalism, theocracy, plague, and/or whatever, triumph for a while, people will not forget that, and will realize what its worth is when they see the other side full in the face, whether they can rebuild a true strong democracy again, that is another issue.

This great National Public Radio segment explains what is causing the shipping shortfalls. A big reason is that people turned to online shopping during the pandemic.

[npr.org]

When I feel upset by the news, I get absorbed in great books. Reading is grist. Reading is bliss. Reading teaches me about different people, families, cultures, countries and ways of living. I experience what divers call "rapture of the deep."

Never owned a television. In 2014, my boyfriend essentially called me "culturally retarded" because I never watch TV. The IT director of Boeing, John took me to Costco and bought me a smart TV. He hooked it up, thank goodness.

Now I sometimes watch Netflix.

Sometimes if everything becomes too much, I feel to roll into a ball and hide in dark secret place a long time until it feels like am breathing and thinking clearly again. You may need to get more rest to ease the pressure of so many troubles which don't make much sense. Rest is healthy and good. Make it happen.

I am going through a funk of depression, I will come out of it, probably take a week or two. I suffer from depression, sometimes it is worse than others.

@dalefvictor
Sorry you are suffering. I had bad depression, but now take a little medication which prevents it from being too bad. It is no joke. Just take special care of yourself in every way. Be gentle and patient with yourself. Sometimes hard when depressed to remember to be kind to yourself.

The rich and the corporations are doing just fine. The economy is doing fine for them. Lobbyists and political donors pull the strings of too many of our politicians. We're the wealthiest country in the world yet our education system is underfunded, we are lagging behind in infrastructure, and our healthcare is the most expensive yet not as effective as many other countries.

We spent many decades building this mess. Even if we can fix things it will take many decades to do so. With out political system gridlocked into ineffectiveness and the country divided it's likely nothing will change anytime soon.

I think this country may need to hit rock bottom before it will ever begin to fix itself.

Unfortunately, that path to rock bottom is likely going to include enough unrest that we fall under authoritarian rule.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:648204
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.