Agnostic.com

1 5

LINK Male Penguin Couple Doing 'Great Job' Raising Foster Hatchling, New York Zoo Says | HuffPost Latest News

Two male Humboldt penguins at a New York zoo who adopted an egg last year have become parents to a brand-new hatchling.

The same-sex foster couple, Elmer and Lima, are a first for the Rosamond Gifford Zoo, which is based in Syracuse, though a number of other zoos around the world have also had same-sex penguins successfully incubate eggs and raise chicks.

snytiger6 9 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good for that zoo. I hope someone doesn't create a stink over it.

As the article says... several zoos have used male coupled penguins to raise chicks.

I remember the first one, although which zoo it was escapes me. They were desperate to get an abandoned egg cared for, and none of the male/female couples would attend it. So, out of desperation, they turned to the two male penguins who seemed like they were also a (gay) couple. It worked, and now using gay penguins to raise chicks at zoos is becoming a common practice.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:648262
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.