Agnostic.com

5 4

I have a problem here that I think is based somehow in a cognitive bias and I need a little help in nailing it down. I sometimes see something to be one way and later find out it is another.

My best example is my recent furnace repair. I learned a few things here and I was an HVAC repairman for 20 years. A couple of years ago I was working on my furnace and saw the heating elements in it and wanted to take a picture so I could know which one fits my unit. I saw my element as similar to an electric dryer element, but this is not true. I thought it was true for 3 years. I had an image of that element in my mind but none of it is true. In fact, my electric furnace has 3 elements and they are not situated as I imaged at all. If I am correct I now have a proper knowledge of something I should have known the entire time. I doubt that my info on this will change again but why did I see it the way that I did?

Another example that I can explain is when I thought 12 years ago that the neighbor kid had stolen my hammer. The hammer was not where it was supposed to be and I looked for it there at least 5 times. When I found that hammer exactly where it should have been the simple fact is that I looked and did not see the hammer the first 5 times. Why?

I'm wondering if we all are like this but some people just miss it. I also wonder if this is how we learn things. Maybe all of us are but will not admit it. Now apply this to religion and if you are like me you can see why there are so many religions and why so many believe them. Believers do not walk away from their religion. They just create or go to another one.

With the above in mind, I am an effective repairman, have invented and use my own TV antenna, can also do car repair, etc. Anyone familiar with what I am talking about here and do you know how to name it?

DenoPenno 9 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Visual memories influence perception.

Thank you so very much for this one. In my case as stated I forgot to say that I did appliances and HVAC. This means my previous notion that the furnace had a heating element that resembled one in a clothes dryer is actually a false memory. This would be similar to that hill we played on as kids but you go back today and find it was only a mound. The problem is in what you remember. Not being able to find your hammer in plain sight when it was there the entire time is a fear that the neighbor kid took it. Often we think things are a certain way to find that it is not true at all. Why do we do this and what is it called?

@DenoPenno

Inattentional or perceptual blindness.

[en.wikipedia.org].

My famous trick is finding my phone in my hand after pacing all around my house looking for it.

skado Level 9 Feb 7, 2022

Maybe the kid just borrowed the hammer. That said, I've looked right at stuff more than once and not seen it.

The hammer was there the entire time. I simply did not see it. My concern of the kid getting it would mean I had left it on my porch. It turns out that the hammer was where it was supposed to have been and the kid had no access to that area.

Luckily a chiropractor severed one of my major neck arteries a long time ago, causing a major stroke....so I can blame it all on that!!!!

Well all I can say is that it happens to me. So you are at least not alone. A few weeks ago I was taking some things out of the van, and had the door propped open. And I thought. " I must remember to close that door before I put the van away. " When it came to putting the van away I thought. "Did I close that door. Yes, I remember making a mental note to do so. " So I ran the van into the garage, and of course the door was open, and it hit the garage door post. Very expensive repair not covered by the insurance.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:649333
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.