Agnostic.com

19 2

Mental health

It seems at some point in life, most people have suicidal thoughts or tendencies. What steps have you or someone you know taken to deal with these?

PenningtonCM 5 Apr 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don’t think there is one distinct answer to this question that works for everyone. I would however find someone you trust with your life if you have one. Talking is a good start. If it gets bad enough, you should consider and maybe even try to get in a psychiatrist. There are meds that should work.

Thats a good question

I have had several suicide attempts and spent time in mental institutions thankfully I was found before too much damage was done to my system - I also was a mental health advocate - {who better?} These days at 70 years old I feel i have calmed down quite a lot - I would say being different is challenging but also life changing - i have learned a lot and wouldnt have changed anything.

I don’t know if that statement is true. Certainly some people have suicidal thoughts, and a small percentage act on them. Adverse life events, the suicide of a parent or the death of one’s child or spouse may predispose a person to suicidality. Coping skills include being evaluated for major depressive disorder, talking to a therapist or trusted person about the thoughts, reducing stressors that make life difficult, learning about the major thinking errors (cognitive) and negative self talk that make life seem impossible or circumstances seem hopeless. Also making a gratitude list, sending a thank you note or doing a good deed can go a long way toward lifting the spirit.

Really, if one thinks about it, wouldn't the worst thing one could do to spite the people who harmed one emotionally is by staying vital and alive in a life that no longer includes other people's emotionally derisive influences, dis-empowerment, and toxic behavior patterns? Stop being helpless and rise above it. One can blame others all day, and one might even be correct, but there's no court for most of it. So what's the point? One should be directional and stay directed towards objectives. There are a lot of assholes in the world who figure they get ahead by derailing the trajectory of others. It doesn't matter who they are. It never does. Power is an illusion. Inside they are weaker, because they don't have the empathy or the compassion to be overwhelmed by emotional investment. They don't help people. But, the person broken by emotional investment and overburdened by their own emotions or the trials of living life does, because that person eventually gets beyond it by carrying on.

Most people I've known who are suicidal or depressed (really can't have one without the other) tend to mask it with extreme drugs and drinking and the others drift into extreme christian denominations like the Pentecostals. I would recommend a good physician who can refer you to a mental health provider who can get into your head as to why your having these feelings and then perhaps start you on a round of medications. Before the anti-meds group shoot down that idea, remember that a lot of depression and mental illness are due to chemical imbalances. And I have taken into consideration that I may be full of shit.

You’re not! All suicidal thinking must be taken seriously. Further, antidepressant medication saves lives everyday.

I am too onery to commit suicide. Yes there have been times when the thought has crossed my mind, but my better judgement prevented that tragedy, so I have decided to keep living and pissing people off. It's more fun this way!!!

This is by no means a professional comment or perspective, just today's point of view / IMHO.

One view I have always remembered: Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

That said, as a human being it is normal to consider one's mortality. Sadness, disappointment, low blood sugar etc. worsen this experience, and these thoughts become harder to shake.
A genetic predisposition to depression or developmental etc., has one "circling the drain" / sensing a loss of control, with more gravitas. Any emotionally charged incident(s) can then aggravate these ideas into seeming to be a more logical progression - which becomes very dangerous when these thought experiences threaten to become real by acting them out.
The Samaritans - a volunteer organization offering suicide hotline assistance, is a wonderful resource. [samaritansusa.org]
Contact your local Community Mental Health Center for support and professional advice.

J3sse Level 5 Apr 24, 2018

I have a diagnosed mental illness. I have a treatment plan with my psychiatrist. If I even felt like I was beginning to wobble I'd let her and my therapist know. I've been hospitalized before. It's a nightmare I do not care to repeat.

Hi PenningtonCM, as a mental health sufferer and also a Mental Health Worker I would always advise phoning Lifeline, Mental Health Support Helpline or whichever name these services run with where you live. They will be able to give you immediate support particularly when you are in crisis (it doesn't last long) until you can get to somewhere safe to be assessed and given appropriate treatment.
Hope this helps.
Tim

TimB0 Level 2 Apr 24, 2018

Ice cream? Seriously, I have found that tri-methyl glycine (TMG) is a very effective non-prescription antdepressant that is also very good for general health. So whenever I am feeling depressed I take that.

Well were going to throw a party right before we go. Then another one right after we leave. Why worry about whose going to take care of us when we can't take care of ourself. Im tired if hearing hospice. Ive gone through enough people dying that it stinks to much for me. Hmmm... my wife has already told me that no one is going to wipe her butt. Not even me...lol. why punish yourself?

hmmm, I am the same, I am very independent and self sufficient. I don't consider that the same as a mental health type suicide though. I will keep on going while I am well. But when things are not great and won't be improving, Exit - stage right.

@Rugglesby. Yeah buddy.... it would be cool if we could fly through the universe and see all the planets and atars and stuff like that.

Accepted the idea.
Figured what and how.
Came to terms with it.
Keep procrastinating.

Well the first time I didn't leave my house for 3 months, the second time I was postpartum and went to a hospital for my diagnosis which includes bipolar disorder, after that I made my first real attempt and ended up back in the hospital, that time I promised my son he'd never see his mommy hurt herself again, the last time I felt it coming and went to the hospital to stop it. Recently I've been to busy for depression. Way to busy.

I finally got off them... i feel better too. I sleep and i don't sleep. But im off them for good.

I make a mental note to ignore suicidal thoughts.
We are not our thoughts.

But if I ever choose to leave this mortal coil I will read how to do it best in a little book titled Final Exit. I believe in the right to die and would be unhappy with anyone who brought me back to life.

Alrighty...

I can't do it. Theres been times where Ive laid out a plan and recebtly even letters after my most recent break up. I have two daughters and I just couldn't bring myself to fathom it when it came down to the deed. I've beat myself up a lot over the choices other people have made. I take it day by day and try to find things and people to occupy my mind, though that isn't really dealing with my feelings I suppose. Having worked in the mental health field I know it would be wise to find someone to talk to on my bad days. All I can advise is finding a good support system and take it day by day. Set goals for the future and know it will get better. It can't rain everyday.

I guess I'm lucky in that manner then as neither I or any immediate family members never had suicidal thoughts or dealt with crippling depression.

I have to say even though I have gone through depression, I have never felt that hopeless. I am a goal setter and I guess that has always kept that light at the end of the tunnel lit.

Goal setter... i started out as a mechanic. Became a welder on aircraft engines. Became a pipe welder and pipefitter. Became a boiler tube welder. Became a millwright. Became a maintenance planner. Became a machinist. Became a foreman. Became a rotation equipment tech. Measures vibration and temperatures. Im retired. I did all that so i would always have a job and i always had one from age 17 to age 63. I retired age 64. Im 65 now.

I stopped drinking, smoking and taking drugs and I was sectioned.

Oh my! Life doth have irony... πŸ™‚

@TimB0 of course

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:64994
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.