Agnostic.com

16 3

How do you feel about intentions?

I don't mean we all have good intentions, but more on the line of an intention board.
Some people believe that if you create an intention, you will draw it towards yourself.
I know that's woo-hoo for many of us. But if this is not exactly what you do, explain what you do instead.
I am trying to find a job. A job I can really do with my whole heart and make enough money to survive on. If I was to put that out there as an intention, what would it look like?

For those of you that would like to rip this idea to shreds, please scroll on by thanks.

Akfishlady 8 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Intentions don't manifest without action. We can only do our best and there's no guarantees, so taking the action is what matters.

Manifesting intention is something we all do, in one way or another. I would like to suggest that you find out exactly what you love to do, find a company that does just that and investigated them thoroughly. Find out who is who there. Go there - feel the parking lot, the building and try to ease drop on their casual conversations in hall ways or where the have happy hour after work. If they are the culture you want to be in, get your resume to reflect exactly their values and then apply - even if it for a janetorial position. But let them know that you wish to be promoted to a position within a couple of months to the skill level that will be much more useful to them. Above all, stay humble. One your foot is in the door, you will soon find your niche, when you demonstrate your skills as an opportunity comes up when staff is pressured on a project that you could volunteer on to help out. it won't be long, once they actually see your skills, the next open position, will get you promoted to what you really love. That has been my career journey and I have always managed to do what I truly love that has supported my financially and fulfilled me emotionally. Now, at 73, I am still very content and happy.

I like to create a collage of images of things I'd like in my life every now and again. It helps me: clarify my desires; appreciate experiences; and celebrate the acheivements.

I'm not certain about intention but it doesn't hurt to set your mind to something specific and make it a goal to work towards. I have painted places I want to see. It helps me keep my goals in the forefront of my mind. And I will see these places. I'm working on a bucket list.

In many ways, you are in a trap that I got out of only by living long enough. You'll have to hone the art of "sucking up" to get the approval you need to get hired and then promoted. I feel lucky to have survived with tatters of what some might call a "soul" remaining.

Another way out that I never had the courage for, is to strike out on your own.

It could honestly be as simple as selling ice cream to little kids in the summer time and a taco truck in the winter time. It doesn't have to be any kind of rocket science, but it definitely involves leaning into your passions and your courage.

Truth be told, I'm not sure which of the two I was most critically lacking. Perhaps someone else will have better advice for you in that direction.

I don't have any intention to dwell on this one....all I can say is that my intentions are good

There are many understandings of the word intentions. Your thought creates the atom, you back that thought with intent, which is based on your belief system, How you feel at that moment is important too. Emotion = Energy in motion 🙂
Write a list of all those things you are super good at or love doing. In there is your ideal job, which ceases to be work 😉 Writing it down confirms your wishes, reading out aloud it becomes an incantation. Let the cosmos know what you want, act as if you deserve it, act as if it's all ready here, and it will arrive 🙂

Are you referring to marketing yourself. If so, then by all means, knock yourself out. Everyone should do that. Its a sign of confidence, self esteem and all those good things.

I think it is a way of defining what you want. Sort of a mental outline. We often want things, but don't really know what we want. Sculpt an idea toss it around until it takes form, then maybe you will see a match for it materialize. I work in the opposite way. I try to want very generally, and then see what grabs me. But I also limit my needs, which helps.

I don't think it's woo-woo to focus on an intention. I think it's futile to pray for something and expect it but, that's not what you're doing. Just because I don't believe in God doesn't mean there isn't a whole lot of shit that I can't explain. What part of me makes me a smart-ass? It might be my brain but, you can't prove it with science.

Duke Level 8 Apr 24, 2018

In a way it implies belief in a greater granting power - that some force exists that says "yeah, sure, here ya go" based on some nebulous balancing act of life. I don't think it works that way or there'd be no problems for anyone.
. Intention within limitation guided by effort.
You might make it, you might not.

At first glance it seem absurd. However, maybe there is something about making a conscious idea that focuses one on fulfilling that want. When we came to the U.S. from Germany we took a class on finding a job. One thing that was suggested was to put down your ideal job. I had quite a few ideas and it turned out I got everyone of them except one (to have subsidized parking - I found a job downtown Seattle and took the bus). The same think happened when I was looking for a new partner. Every item except one (to find a woman with 2 or fewer children 0 she had 3 and the third ended up being the best one for me/us). Maybe it's a focus thing.

I don't think it's woo at all. I've heard it so many times, in differing ways, from so many different sources throughout culture, ideology, and history. "We become what we think". "Law of Attraction". "Whatsoever you desire, believe with all of your heart that you already possess it and it will be yours.", etc. You can find it all over various scriptures. It's baked into several religions. There must be something to it.

No doubt there has been woo that's latched onto it and built gigantic woo sandcastles from it--but I think there is acceptance of this idea in psychology, and there may be some science to back it up. You get what you pay for--what you invest your mental/emotional energy in.

Then if you want to get really scientific and technical, we have quantum physics showing us, more and more, that our observations effect outcomes--so we can literally control matter by how and where we look at it...

The main takeaway I've gotten from looking into it is that for it to work properly you have to think, feel, act, etc. as if you've already got what you desire. You get what you pay for--so if you pay for "wanting" or "expecting", wanting and expecting are what you'll get. Pay for "I've got exactly what I want" and that's what you'll get. It seems weird and counterintuitive but if you look into it some it starts to make sense.

Write a story in great detail as if it already exists

I don't really understand. Could you make this more concise? Your heart pumps blood around your body, nothing else. 🙂

KenG Level 6 Apr 24, 2018

It reminds me, to a degree, about the concept of Visualization in the modern 'magickal' traditions (like Wicca, etc). By visualizing the outcome, you help bring it into being.

I believe there is some truth to it. But in your case, I don't know if you are going too broad, or not broad enough - but I say that only because I don't know the kinds of things you excel with, and enjoy, and are profitable enough to live on.

But I certainly wish you the best.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:65117
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.