Agnostic.com

5 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religion does not create morality. Instead it tries to dictate it.

How to create a moral society: get rid of all arrogant self-seeking aggressive assholes.

Good. One thousand and seventy five years, I wonder if we will ever see a Catholic priest get that ? Sadly the only legal difference observable, between a religion and a cult, is only how many voters a religion can control.

Agree, good answer! For those who didn't click on the link, the answer was:

"I don't think religion has anything to do with morality. If you're doing the right thing because your religion told you so, that is not moral → that’s ‘obedient’.

If anything, I actually think religion is more likely to encourage people to do immoral things. They use religion as a weapon or an excuse to treat others poorly. Then they go on to try to claim that what they do is ‘moral’.

It takes a special sort of stupid thinking to murder adults because they love other adults (of the same gender) and then try to justify that murder as a moral choice."

Religion is the realm of the immoral. Because it is the only human intellectual system which demands no proof or justification for ideas. If you want to justify an idea philosophicaly, then you must prove that it is logical, scientifically that it is supported by evidence, politically that you can get a majority vote for it. So if you have an idea which is immoral and impossible to justify, there is only one place you can go to find support, friends, and an echo chamber. So that religion naturally becomes the go to for the immoral and anti social.

By 2000 year old definition, Religion is about helping others and avoiding worldly corruption.

Helping others and avoiding corruption is a good way to have a moral society.

Religion ... pure and faultless is this: to help widows and orphans in need and avoiding worldly corruption. James 1:27

I understand, some people like the style of religion know for giving sarcasm worship to the non-existent flying spaghetti monster sky God making fun of Christians that does not know Jesus is lucipher the devil.

I do not think this atheist style and definition for religions sarcasm worship would help promote a moral society.

Word Level 8 Feb 18, 2022
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:651273
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.