Agnostic.com

5 1

Just had a lunch of beef heart, first time, delicious. I’ve eaten organ meats my whole life, as introduced by my parents, first for beef heart as it is not readily available. Next want to try beef tongue.
I get that it is a turn off for many, even though never tried it,
My question is do you eat organ meat? If so any favorite recipes?

Canndue 8 Mar 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We have many what we call Taco Trucks here and they all have Lingua, beef tongue. I have not tried it. If you really want a delicacy try Buffalo Tongue, I had it when I lived on an Indian Reservation in Northern Montana. I would think it is available as Buffalo meat is.

Buffalo meat is available here (haven’t seen organ meat, but there is a farm not too far away.), not a favorite, too lean for my tastes. Need to find a taco truck

@Canndue I felt bad calling on Taco trucks, as that can be racist, but since I have eaten at everyone I have seen in this town and the food is great, it is not racist, just a good choice. I ate at Dairy Queen every day for two weeks and then went to have a medical check-up. It was determined that I was pre-diabetic. I stopped going and started eating Mexican and the problem is now gone.

@dalefvictor funny, I didn’t consider it racist, I just thought they specialize in tacos. For all I know, the operators could be Chinese Muslims 😉. Food trucks can be awesome . We have food truck fairs around here in the summer.

Beef tongue IMO is quite bland, even spiced/marinated, does not absorb flavorings well. Weirdly Dense in texture. I wouldn't pay for it because of the bland flavor, bleh texture & a real PIA to cook...the peeling, ugh!
I have eaten a lot of wild game including deer heart....didn't care for the texture.
You can buy canned tripe in tbe South, takes about 3 hours of prep away, it is pretty tender. Extremely bland....dredge & cook like Chicken Fried Steak, use plenty of spice & make a creamy gravy.

Properly prepared,beef heart is good. So is beef tripe.

Had tripe, but didn’t care for it, but that was 40 yrs ago. Maybe time to try again.

I've had beef tongue a few times. They serve it at a restaurant near me.

Tejas Level 8 Mar 4, 2022

Is it worth buying? Was going to get one last week (they rarely have them) but $45 felt a bit steep.

@Canndue I've never bought one in the store. 45 sounds pretty, everything is high right now

Beef tongue is one of my favorites.
I just boil for about 2 hours, peal, slice and eat with salt.

Thanks

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:653937
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.