Agnostic.com

5 2

A little knowledge: "
When would you estimate the "dumbing down” of America began? I submit that It is a relative condition. To some extent our society has always been relatively ignorant and under-educated, but I think the largest factor contributing to the current cognitive dissonance which is endemic in our society is the advent of computers and social media. The large majority of the "great unwashed" who were never educated, now have at their disposal, the sum total of virtually all knowledge. But there is a difference between truth and knowledge! In the words of Alexander Pope, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing", but I would add that a lot of unverifiable knowledge can be even more dangerous!

fishline79 7 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

By your own admission our society has always been relatively ignorant and under educated (I'm not sure I agree with that since we used to be number one in education in the world). Consequently there is nothing new that would change that other than just bringing the issue to the forefront now. There are just more instances now where they show their ignorance by grasping on to conspiracy theories etc.

Similarly the country has always been racist and we didn't know to what extent until trump surfaced. Now we know that at least 40% of the country is racist.

lerlo Level 8 Mar 8, 2022

I believe that the majority of my generation received, in most areas of the country, a decent-enough education.
However, white men my age seem in many cases to be the most credulous, gullible, and nasty of all, so I think I am Not with you on this!

I very much disagree. The "dumbing down" began long before computers and social media were prevalent. The deliberate white-washing of history, the inclusion of religion in schools (especially in science classes), the war against teaching evolution in schools... these are all part of the root of the problem. Public education in the U.S. has been on the ropes for a very long time.

I'd agree that computers and social media have absolutely helped spread ignorance, lies, and misinformation, but they were not the initial cause of it.

I didn't say they were the sole "cause" but the "largest contributing factor". I agree with your observation.

Christianity has long fostered anti-intellectual attitudes along with their disparaging of scientists and evolution. Fox and social media have helped this dumbing down.

Thanks to Texas, and most of the Southern States, we may become a Theocracy before long.

No. I think that that may contribute to the Dunning-Kruger effect, and may make ignorance more bold and visible, but it does not add to the sum total of it. I think that it really begins when those who control power and wealth, began to lose faith in education, as a generator of more power and wealth for themselves. In the nineteenth century, many with power and wealth thought that education was an unalloyed good, which would make for a more effective workforce, eager to buy more goods, which education would lead them to want.

But over the years it was realized that education in fact makes people self reliant, and teaches them discernment. So that those who had the wealth and power, began to doubt that earlier view, and especially they began to think that well educated people would have little interest in buying the goods and services they could easily produce. It would be harder to produce the goods demanded by those with discernment, and the fewer goods would reduce profits. The discerning and self reliant would not want to pay for shallow sermons on Sundays, junk food on weekdays, or canned entertainment on Saturdays. So that education (True education not just schooling.) became a low priority, for industry, church and government, since they thought that they could see, that too much of it was not in their best interests.

True enough, but given all of the available knowledge in the world, it remains up to each individual to seek to attain his/her own level of education. I learned very little in school. Most of which I know (which isn't much) I learned after I left college. Having said that, knowledge is a two-edged sword. Alexander Pope was partially right. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" (which is what the Dunning Kruger Effect implies) , but that is tempered by how one choses to use what knowledge he has. I guess what I am saying is, like water, each of us seeks his own level of knowledge, but more importantly, how we use it determines who we are, so perhaps how much we know isn't as important as we think. I apologize for the preceding statement. After reading it, it sounds like rhetoric, but I clicked on "Reply, anyway. I risk exposing my lack of knowledge!

@fishline79 That is all very true.

@Fernapple Thanks, but are you sure you're not just humoring me? LOL

@fishline79 No certainly not. You are big enough to take the punches and the prizes, and treat those two imposters just the same.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:654419
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.