Agnostic.com

5 0

Do you think monogamy is real in people? I don't think monogamy is real, I have never seen any guy stay with only one woman his entire life (unless it was Dave Roever, who was blown up by a chemical bomb). The vast majority of "normal" functioning guys will have multiple partners over a lifetime. Monogamy being defined as staying with one person for your entire life.

jwm03h 6 Dec 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Some of our simian cousins are monogamous but not for life. I think we are a monogamous species, but we aren't really good at it.

Most people are monogamous not because they do not desire another person ,but it may be due to guilt,fear,cultural pressure,religion or the unavailability of a sexual partner .

id say its very rare anyway as I find sex an important part of being with a partner its something you got to try with more than one person. you wouldn't buy the first car you test drove

Oh, it's definitely real - for SOME people, not all. I know quite a few long term, happy couples that will likely be together until the end.

When you're younger, usually it takes being with a few different people before you find one that causes you to forget all others - at least for awhile.
Though my Sister and Brother-in-law have been together since they were barely out of their teens, and have been married over 40yrs.

But then I also know many divorced , serial monogamists, players, and never marrieds. Some are content with their lot, others are constantly restless and seeking to change to some other status. And none of these behaviors are gender specific.
And there are some that simply cannot be faithful to anyone, and do best remaining single.

It takes time to find out where your heart lies !

Yes, but both people involved have to commit to it. I was entirely committed to my ex. I never even looked at another guy, thought about another guy. Too bad my ex lied about his commitment. I don’t think this is a “guy” thing, I’ve seen plenty of women do the same. I think just some people lie and say they are so they can get someone to marry them. Maybe they do that because they like the thrill of cheating and they enjoy making their committed partner suffer. I think we need to encourage self-awareness. If we know we don’t plan on being faithful, we shouldn’t tell someone we do. At that point it’s no longer “I’m not a monogamous person,” it is “I’m a liar.” Two different things.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6545
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.