Agnostic.com

20 1

Who should we believe experts or the talking heads of the media?

Marine 8 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have learned to look for evidence myself. Expert, talking heads, I go and start researching the subject matter. Other than that, the OFF button on my radio works just fine. Yes, I have TVs, but the the visual maniplation going on in the background gives me a headache.

I try to distill facts from things, then look to see what my favorite personalities, people like Sam Harris, Ben Shapiro, Ezra Klein, and others, end up saying about the issue.

Sensationalism is pretty terrible.

Jesus. He speaks directly, and only, to me.

Via the hand dryer in my local Starbucks.

I like your sarcasm. Keep it up; you'll live longer. I saw that on Facebook.

The ones who are being logical and are making claims that are backed up by evidence.

Some media shows have talking heads and some have people that are experts in their fields and list that expertise in the introduction. It seems that even now some shows seem to feel the need to get conflicting opinions even when there are no conflicts among the experts.

gearl Level 8 Apr 24, 2018

Not a chance,question everything, demand proof.

Coldo Level 8 Apr 24, 2018

question everything.

I really can't believe how much ignorant anti-intellectualism I am seeing on this thread. Experts are bloody EXPERTS: they have EDUCATION and KNOWLEDGE that non-experts don't have. That means they are far more likely to be RIGHT than are non-experts. Period.

The experts have expertise. That means knowledge you don't have. That's why.

Media figures who based their reporting on the positions of the experts are trustworthy. Those who just make up propaganda (like Hannity, Carlson, etc.), are not.

Whoever has the smallest audience.

The experts, not the talking heads and if you doubt them research it yourself.

never trust an expert outside of technical matters. Your doc? Trust them. Your city engineer? Trust them. Your accountant? Trust them.

Your generals, economists, talking heads, religious/spiritual figures, political leaders? Dont trust any of them.

I wouldn't trust a doctor without backup research. My daughter died at 18, (brain tumor); after three years of different doctors saying there was nothing wrong and that often teens made stuff up for attention. I would trust no one without credible info and research that was freely available.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson...he could tell me the world is but my lucid coma dream and I may be inclined to believe him haha!

Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Michio Kaku, anything either told me I would believe without question.
Love those guys.

Yourself with your own research from verifiable, solid sources.

I can't be trusted. I have been lying to myself for years. ?

Some of them can be believed, some not. We simply have to analyze the accuracy of their words and the the true character (or lack thereof).

Neither. I listen to both sides and form my own opinions. If it’s a major issue effecting me, I’ll do more research and find commonalities and piece the picture together myself.

Gather information and make up your own mind, don't let them do it up for you.

I remember back in the day.... journalist (Walter Cronkite etc.) unobjectively reported the events by giving you the facts.... now a days it seems that every person affiliated with a major news network uses their position to spout their opinions at you and call you an idiot if you don't agree with them.

All I want from the media are the actual facts. I'm smart enough to make my own informed opinion/decisions thank you......

Where should we turn left or right... depends

I am so tired of the talking heads debating the same thing on the news every night that I am ready to scream. There is so much going on in the world and yet they concentrate on all the gore,murder,and the same old thing about the trumpie every night. There are so many experts on so many subjects that it would be nice to hear from them. New developments in science , medicine and just day to day living would be appreciated. The media could once be depended upon to be a watchdog on government, businesses etc but it seems it has lost it's real purpose to inform the public.Let us hope that a change will occur before the next election.

I don't think most of them are that bright really

Remember the uproar recently about Sinclair Lewis having multiple networks spouting the same old rightwing BS? Sinclair who for all intents and purposes coined the term uptightly ultraright, own 78% of the US news outlets. They are now in the process of quietly acquiring Mercer News Group. Does that answer your question?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:65457
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.