Agnostic.com

5 23

The girl I'm mentoring was accepted by the prestigious Univ. of Washington.

Univ. of WA is extremely hard to get into. They often reject students with perfect grades.

Alexandria wrote in her personal essay

Learning and playing music have always been a positive distraction. I grew in an abusive family. My father was arrested and went to prison twice. My parents were divorced when I was in first grade. I don't plan to see my father again.

From the terrors I've faced as a child, I have grown to be hard-working, motivated, determined, kind and patient.

After facing the negatively in my childhood home, I want to make people around me feel like they are in safe space. I want to learn and become the best person possible so I can avoid turning out anything like my father. I do not want to add any more negativity to the world. I plan to carry this positive attitude forward in life.

She needed a recommendation from someone who does not work for her school. I volunteered. I wrote...

I highly recommend Alexandria Steiner for a scholarship based on her accomplishments, inner drive, ability to overcome adversity and compassion. Despite living in poverty, Alexandria forged ahead and excelled academically, earning all A's.

This remarkable girl is the most self-motivated teen I have met. Alexandria plays flute, violin, acoustic guitar and electric bass guitar. Her mother couldn’t afford private music lessons. Her instruments were provided by the school. Alexandria learned by watching videos and practicing hard. Since a junior, Alexandria has been the flute section leader in band and marching band.

“Becoming a research scientist fits because I have always been curious,” Alexandria said. “I’m fascinated to learn how things work, why things happen and how people think. By advancing scientific knowledge, I want to help people and the world.”

Alexandria’s most charming personality traits are her kindness and patience. Alexandria is thoughtful, responsible and organized. She leads by example.

Alexandria was accepted by the University of Washington. This girl will make you proud.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good for her and for you. We need more people like her in this world.

Outstanding💫; support for young folks is crucial for thier future. Now we know young adults need support and mentors; they are smarter than us ,,,yet the world has pitfalls-they need to develop and choose their strengths and skill set.
Must give you a warm feeling to change the world ,,,,congrats📚

Happy International Women's Day to both of you.
Wonderful to hear!!

Keep it up, Kathleen!

Alexandria sounds like she's going to do what it takes to be successful.

The young women you've mentored have been lucky to have you in their corners.

@KKGator

Thank you. At first, Alexandria refused to talk about her abusive, violent father. "It's too upsetting," she said. Gradually drew her out.

Convinced her it's an important story to tell. How she overcame adversity. What she learned.

Many kids who grow up with abusive parents become angry and violent, and/or play victim.

Her decisions to excel academically, learn to play four instruments, and be a positive person make her unique.

Excellent work

@bobwjr

Thank you, Bob!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:654702
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.