Agnostic.com

4 0

How many more times are we going to allow them to drag the truth-speaking humans to the psych wards?

MichaelSanchuk 6 Mar 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Link? Or something......

Thank you for the comment.

I used to have a friend who was a paranoid schizophrenic. She honestly thought people were coming into her apartment when she wasn't there. They weren't. It must have been a very scary way to live, never feeling completely safe and I did everything I could think of to help her. If her medication was helping her, it wasn't helping her enough.

She had confided in me that he greatest fear was to die alone and I sincerely tried to prevent that. In the end, I became part of the conspiracy because I could not buy into her delusions. Everyone is entitled to their own truth but some truths are not supported by fact.

The meds available to treat schizophrenia are inadequate. They have significant side effects so people resist taking them even when they're effective. They have become more effective over the years and have fewer side effects than they used to. Newer ones are more expensive and so cheaper less effective ones are often tried first.

@Theresa_N Thank you. When people disparage those with mental illness, it always reminds me of how brave she was to try to negotiate life each and every day. Pretty sure I would not have been able to do it.

Having been both a nurse and a patient in "psych wards," I've never heard any profound truths spoken there by either staff or patients.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:655009
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.