Agnostic.com

31 9

Catholic Class

Still finishing the last leg of secondary education, and I'm stuck at a Catholic school, uniform and everything. I have religion class everyday and have become rather unpopular. Not matter the reason and logic I try to use in spurring honest, thought provoking discussions I'm met with hostility, even from my friends. Is it worth it to continue trying to start discussions and encourage critical thought in my classmates, or just keep quiet and not waste the energy? I've only got till June left of this BS anyway. Opinions?

Catnublia 6 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Catherine, finish up yer education, get to uni and start a new life. You'll make new friends and a new life. Be brave x

Don't waste your energy. It won't matter. Finish your time and move on. Find some friends with open minds and see the world.

Well, if their haven't been any issues between you and school administration (don't want to have nothing to show for your education), then I'd say you should press the issue in your religion class. I'm betting that your friends and classmates are quite familiar with critical thinking in other areas, but they have been convinced that faith is just as valuable.

I read a great book on this called "A Manual for Creating Atheists," which really digs into how faith should be the target of those debating theism. In the book Peter Boghossian defines faith as "pretending to know something you don't," which helped me place words to my problem with religion.

In school I was taught the importance of critical thinking, and I became an atheist because I realized how I could not value both faith and critical thinking at the same time. They may show hostility to you now, but your fellow students are possibly at the best stage of their lives to begin realizing how flawed their faith is.

Do not get bogged down by debates on morality or the improbability of god or religious events. Every one of their arguments, when teased long enough, will come back to faith, and that is where their whole world-view can be taken apart.

However it goes I wish you well, I understand how weaselly Catholic apologetics can be.

I'll see about adding it to my library, but I've got a pile of books I need to finish first ? but I keep buying new books so it just gets bigger

@Catnublia I'm really enjoying Audible as resource for getting through books quickly, and the author of the book I suggested did a great job narrating for Audible's copy of his audiobook. It's worth checking out if you find your ears free during the day.

I would only bother continuing with the conversation if I saw some form of thought or reasoning from the other party. If you're only getting a strong negative push back, these may not be the type of people to try and have a reasonable debate with.
Just my two cents.

Eventually you will learn what fight to pick and what to just tag along....... Live and let die

The uniform is the only thing they got right. ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:65501
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.