Agnostic.com

31 9

Catholic Class

Still finishing the last leg of secondary education, and I'm stuck at a Catholic school, uniform and everything. I have religion class everyday and have become rather unpopular. Not matter the reason and logic I try to use in spurring honest, thought provoking discussions I'm met with hostility, even from my friends. Is it worth it to continue trying to start discussions and encourage critical thought in my classmates, or just keep quiet and not waste the energy? I've only got till June left of this BS anyway. Opinions?

Catnublia 6 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

you need to graduate. don’t make waves.

Religion has spoken to a hushed audititorium for eons with a mic, even now they hold sway in society.
As a non believer you also have a right to exist and not believe.

I suggest you try a different tack with your classmates.
Try SE

keep plugging away. as they get older some of what you say now may resonate

That can't be easy. I have found that asking questions, especially why questions can lead down more constructive paths than arguing. If they see you as questioning rather than opposition, conversation can often be far more civil. Especially if you have leading questions.

Also, one thing I've found to be very helpful in these kinds of conversations is considering their view. For a really well explained explanation, I suggest this video:

You're so close. It sucks now, but you have a couple months left and then you don't have to worry about it ever again.

I rarely pushed the issue in that identical situation and came through it a stronger person having witnessed the delusion of Belief...hang in there.

R1LEY Level 2 Apr 28, 2018

Hang in there. You will free of the dogma soon.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:65501
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.