Agnostic.com

10 18

The joy and threat of seeing mountain goats.

Mountain goats have killed people when threatened.

Lake Colchuck, a steep hike. Changed out of my wet, sweaty shirt. Pulled a fleece jacket over my head. Looked and there was a mountain goat! I froze, eying it warily. Slowly raised my camera and snapped the first photo. It walked past me into the woods. Whew.

Ingalls Lake, another steep hike. "Let's go. There's nothing to do here," a new man whined a few minutes after we got to the lake. I looked at him in disbelief.

"Be here now," I replied. "Take deep breaths. Enjoy the beauty. Walk around the lake. Watch mountain goats. Watch climbers on Mt. Stuart. Relax."

As the jackass wandered, I sat on a high boulder eating lunch. Mother and baby walked down to the lake. The smallest baby I ever saw. Mom was shedding winter fur.

Colchuck and Ingalls lakes are in the Enchantment Mountains of North Central Washington. No hunting, dogs nor motorized vehicles are allowed. Permits are required for camping.

I have also seen mountain goats in Olympic National Park.

National Forest - Stay at least fifty-yards away from mountain goats – half
the length of a football field. If a mountain goat approaches, slowly move away from it to keep a safe distance. If it continues to approach, chase it off by yelling, waving a piece of clothing, or throwing rocks.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Great pictures.

wow that goat looks like some mythical creature. Your pics, LH, have convinced me I must visit....despite the evident cold.

I've conversed with them telepathically up in Rocky Mountain National Park. Wise, amazing, and majestic creatures. Bighorn sheepy faced critters too!

I would really like to go to that place to see the goats, I have e been where they are before, but never seen one. I am amazed and jealous.

@dalefvictor

Both Ingalls and Colchuck lakes are in the Enchantment Mountains. No hunting, dogs, nor motorized vehicles are allowed. Have seen mountain goats in Olympic National Park. Same restrictions.

Overnight camping is extremely limited. The US Forest Service has an annual lottery for camping spots in the Enchantments. Tens of thousands of people apply each year. Only a few get camp permits on specific dates.

There was a herd of 12 at Ingalls Lake. Rare to see so many.

Usually I just see mountain goats high above on cliffs.

We were walking down a trail in Wichita Nat. Wildlife Refuge in Oklahoma when on our right was a single and very large bison maybe 10 yards away. He(?) was lying down in the sun. Without running we picked up the pace as he(?) kept watching. We didn’t bother him. No one stopped for a picture. Down here we have mountain lions and rattlesnakes in the mountains too. One will stalk you without you knowing and one hides in the grass and rocks just off the trail. Hiking brings me great pleasure but be aware.
This is not my photo, but it is from the park.

Beautiful photos of natural scenery. 🙂

Beautiful pics, thanks for the info 😀

Mountain sheep come down to the highway just South of Anchorage...

Wow cool experience

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 12, 2022

"Nothing to do" is a phrase that sends me ballistic! Feel the sun, breathe the pure air, marvel at the beauty of creation! You don't have to DO, you just have to be.

@HippieChick58

Exactly. "Stop taking photos," he demanded to speed me up.

"No," I replied firmly. "I will take as many photos as I want. If you want to hike faster, go ahead. I will meet you at the car in 45 minutes."

He took off. Wasn't there to assist me with big jumps across boulders with huge dropoffs. The descent is always more dangerous.

@LiterateHiker Hiking seems to be a great way to weed out the less desirable males.

@HippieChick58

Taking new guys on a day hike is a test of their fitness, attitude, preparedness, kindness and tenacity.

Then I realized it's not safe to go into the woods with a man I just met.

So I downshifted to walking along a popular riverfront path.

@LiterateHiker True that. It sucks that we have to make such decisions.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:655358
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.