Agnostic.com

9 4

Holiday blues

How many other single people out there get depressed during the holidays? I hate that I begin to feel sorry for myself this time of year.

Kojaksmom 8 Dec 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I get depressed for many reasons this time of year. All of the forced jolliness and stupid Christmas music is very annoying.

the forced frenzy reallly bothers me. It is the darkest time of the year. to me that says turn within

I am surprised, now that I live where it is sunny and bright, just a few days of cloudy weather can really damp my spirits. Or else, when I lived in the Northwest I was depressed all the time and just got used to it.

I get depressed sometimes. I quit doing anything special around xmas about 18 years ago. It seemed pointless, since the kids were all gone, either to college or living with their mother.
My favorite thing to do on xmas day is to go out with friends for Chinese food. My oldest son told me it's an American Jewish tradition (his wife is Jewish), since Chinese restaurants are typically open on xmas.

THe holidays used to be difficult for me since I usually lived far from family or may not have had time off work. Being at work was better than being home alone.WHen I started looking at these days as just another day things got easier.I will be alone on Christmas too but will spend it doing what pleases me

I've been struggling with that already. I do have some family in town, but when my kids aren't with me, I still feel isolated and lonely.

Me too,

I used to. Then i started shopping to buy myself stuff in all the sales. Eventually that got old, and I developed an antipathy towards crowded places. So, now I just avoid crowded places and the holidays don't affect me one way or another. I still buy myself stuffr, but now I do so online and I don't limit it to the holidays anymore.

I hate it all as its all fake bullshit

Grab a blanket, get some hot cocoa, find a good book, and curl up by the fire place. I hope that makes you feel better.

Holiday depression is very real, and for people without close family it can be especially hard. Why do you feel sorry for yourself? Because you don’t have a significant other? Or is it something else? Sometimes helping other people can be therapeutic for people feeling down. I have suffered from severe depression for years. PM me if you would like to talk more.

I'm alone again on christmas.

And thank you.

I’m single, but I do have my daughter. Sometimes I’d like to feel lonely. What I do miss is adult conversation.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6563
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.