Agnostic.com

2 4

LINK Lee Smolin - What's Fundamental in the Cosmos?

Bump and down in your chair and it's like being on the boat. I'll be crossing that bridge in June (so excited) as I hug the coastline from San Diego to WA's Rainforest NP. As for the conversation, my theory explains it all and eliminates divisions caused by religious beliefs. Death is an illusion and, since all this is part of that illusion, things like evolution did not happen. It all just began as part of the illusion. When the illusion ends so does all the scientific and religious crap. Electrons getting excited and vibrating at elevated frequencies, creating waves, which also creates the duality. The illusion exists because of the duality.

rainmanjr 8 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Can two white men in the back of an expensive boat answer that?

A woman in a remote village deciding which of her children to feed today might have a very different answer.

It would be a different answer but probably equally as wrong. I have no idea how expensive that boat is, either. I thought it a fun conversation in a fun setting.

@rainmanjr It is like a blind mole trying to imagine a rainbow. In either case.
But, I think the desperate are more competent to ponder the infinite than the fattened.

@BufftonBeotch Eloquently put.

While I have a few Smolin books on Physics, and I "understand" where he is coming from, the practical fact is that this experience we call reality is as real as real can be for us. Any other view is simply going down a rabbit hole of illusion itself

I freely tell people often that, while this is ultimately an illusion (so “issues” don’t ultimately matter), it’s gonna hurt if you cut off a limb (unless a deeply accomplished yogi). Yes, it’s a strong one.

If the illusion is the only expereince you can have, then the illusion is reality for you. End of story, anything else is just dreamtime.

@Fernapple Exactly so. This is one of the Big Problems with Physics research,we may be approach the limits of what we can sense. Since all of our knowledge of reality comes to us by way of our senses, that is a brickwall in our ability to deduce and comprehend everything. Physicists who claim they they can achieve more by way of Math alone are like a blind and deaf person trying to throw rocks at a can. They can make the attempt, but have no way to confirm they score a "hit". In my job I use a saying a lot, "It always looks good on paper."

@Reignmond A very good anology. Especially as you could add, that. They sometimes hear a clang and know they hit something, but not if it was what they were aiming for.

@Fernapple There is some possibility that artificial intelligence and sensors MAY be able to extend our abilities some, but I expect there will always be something just out of reach.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:656460
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.