Agnostic.com

5 10

Freddy Mercury was quite right when he made that statement. Music has lost its soul. The little bits of creative genius and imperfections that made the music of earlier times meaningful.

Ceaselessmind 7 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

pfft...at least 50 years too late.

I agree with @Marionville. Freddie foresees music’s losing its soul only because he has already felt his own music’s losing its soul.

I can’t say he’s wrong about tech taking over. Autotune has clearly given many untalented vocalists a shot at fame. But I’m sure we can find examples of every generation decrying the evolution of how the now will turn into the future

There are still a great number of creative musicians around, many of them young singer/songwriters ….that they will ever die out is complete nonsense. Technology will never completely eclipse or replace human creativity and talent, only supplement it. Each generation believes that they are the golden age and rubbishes the newer one. Much as I’m an admirer of Freddie…in this respect I think he was talking arrant nonsense.

Was already nearly gone even by his time, he was one of the last few, at least in mainstream popular music. Fortunately, on the other hand, we also live in an eclectic age, and there is easy access to many a sub-genera, where you can hear everything from a sitar to a banjo, and dark age choral to Rap. It is not perhaps that music is dead, simply that there will no longer be any such thing as mainstream popular music any longer.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:657165
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.