Agnostic.com

4 3

The Denny's restaurant hypothesis

Decades ago I traveled via car a good portion of the US except for most of the east coast and north east. I often wondered if there was any city in the US of a population of 50,000 or more that didn't have a Denny's restaurant I proclaimed I would settle there. Long story short I never found such a city minus a Denny's.

Can anyone prove my Denny's hypothesis wrong?

FvckY0u 8 Mar 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If they don't have a Denny's don't go there if they do.

I noticed the same thing many yeas ago. Apparently, some company had a lot of money, and built all these buildings all over. Now most I see are either empty or serve some other function. I remember seeing one in Portland, but that was a long time ago. Sambos was the same, but I see them no more.

I'd hate to think there were still Sambo's around. I think a lot of them sold to Denny's and similar restaurants?

@Lauren Perhaps, I did not care or watch what was happening with them as I was not doing much traveling. Thought when I was they always seemed to be consistent.

@dalefvictor They were in the area I grew up, so we occasionally ate there. I had no problem with the food, it was more the depiction of Sambo. I understand the book has been revised several times to be less racist, and perhaps the restaurant could have done that as well, but chose to sell.

@Lauren Most of my life I have been entirely blind to racism. I used to ride on the bus, in the back section, while white people told me to ride in the front, I was with my grandmother's housekeeper who was black, I used to go home with her and play with her kids. It was fun. Later I was with an Indian family in Albuquerque, the doctors were there and we lived on an Indian reservation, Zuni, We were made to sit at a table in a restaurant for a long time to eat. When the bill came the waitress asked if I was going to pay for the family, I got it, I said to her, "Yes". Since then I have seen it and racism makes absolutely no sense to me. I learned that we are all the same we just speak differently and have different experiences to talk about. I never got that Sambo's was about racism, I just thought black ladies are good cooks, and I can attest that almost everyone I have eaten with is a great cook and provider.

Philadelphia has 1.65 million people. The closest Denny's is in Langhorne PA and there's one in Essington PA, close but they are not in Philly proper.

@darren316 Denny's blows.

Murfreesboro, tn 136000+ no grand slam.

@darren316 I'm not inviting. just breaking your hypothosis.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:657306
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.