Agnostic.com

4 16

Snowshoeing above my comfort level. Three years ago today.

Overhanging snow cornices, newly fallen snow, blue skies, 60-degrees, climbing ridge after ridge. On snowshoes Karen and I gained a massive 3,000-feet of elevation gain in -miles round trip above Lake Clara.

Thinking I could get an echo from cliffs across the bowl, I whooped, scaring Karen. She taught me to yodel Old La-dy O! Together we yodeled loudly. Wait for it. Our echo came back from the cliffs.

The higher we went, the steeper it got. Karen kept climbing higher and higher. Increasingly reluctant ("How do I get down?" ), I followed.

"If we go there," Karen said pointing, "we can cut through the trees and we'll be above Midway at Mission Ridge Ski Area. We can come down the ski run staying near the trees."

My argument for turning around

"Today the ski area is closed because of ice. With grooming, the runs are hard-packed. It will be icy and steep. Besides, dogs are not allowed at Mission Ridge Ski Area in the winter." Karen knows that. Her dog was with us.

Karen was disappointed because we didn't complete the route she planned. I felt guilty for disappointing her.

"It's not fun for me if you are scared," Karen said. "Next year, I'll come back and complete the route alone."

Still, it was a gorgeous adventure.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just be careful

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 26, 2022

I think that I could have some fun there on skis..🙂

Is that Puget Sound, and Sea-Tac in the distance?

@yvilletom

Very funny! I live on the east side of the Cascade Mountains in Wenatchee. Seattle is on the west side.

These are the Wenatchee Mountains.

I think you were wise to turn back. It is beautiful, and quite and adventure, but not worth risking your life.

@HippieChick58

Thank you, dear. You are right.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:657768
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.