Agnostic.com

4 0

LINK Pious Violence at the Oscars | Center for Inquiry

"When Will Smith sucker-punched (slapped?) Chris Rock at last night’s Oscars, he underscored a point that most people won’t be making in its aftermath: being a pious Christian does not make you a good person.

As a former stand-up comedian, public atheist, and a person who’s been in his share of fistfights, I have a rare perspective on this incident, so here goes, for what it’s worth.

First, maybe Will, whom I respect as a fine performer, is having some psychological issues. His tearful acceptance speech seemed to go well beyond someone just caught up in the moment of winning an award — even a big one. If it turns out he was on something, or is suffering from some mental illness, the whole thing might turn out to be a bit more understandable, though still not acceptable.

But, he was wrong in some big ways."

WilliamCharles 8 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Couldn't hurt.

Too funny.

Rock was in the wrong and so was Smith. I'm tired of bullies using "I'm a comedian" as an excuse for hurting the vulnerable. That's why there are very few stand up comedians that I will watch.

I felt the GI Jane reference was playful rather than disrespectful, but others saw it differently.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:658055
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.