Agnostic.com

7 3

Answer to Was Dwight D. Eisenhower a good or bad president? Why? by Ben Kleschinsky [quora.com]

EarnestEccentric 7 Apr 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

He was a great president and a good general.

He was the best Republican president with the possible exception of Lincoln. Unfortunately, under his tenure, the CIA went rogue, getting illicit funding from heroin sales (per the Pentagon Papers). The military-industrial-intelligence complex came into it's own, becoming a secret government that scripts most of what is allowed to happen...

Plus he built the new hwy system in such a way as to further destroy black neighborhoods and assassinated democracy in Iran. One good speech, at the end, doesn't redeem him.

Compared to who?

I always ask “Good for whom?” and “Bad for whom?”

For the Iranian people? The CIA asked Pres. Truman for permission to overthrow their elected government and he refused.

For the Anglo-Iranian Oil company? Pres. Eisenhower consented.

I only know Ike from what I read about him. He seemed to be a good man, general, and president.

He was excellent almost liberal

I liked Ike. I was too young to vote for him but he definitely influenced my decision to initially register as a Republican. Fortunately Reagan inspired me to reverse that decision.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:659304
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.