Agnostic.com

14 0

Do you think that it is wrong to require children to be vaccinated?

Marine 8 Apr 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. I know there was a scare sometime back, but that was disproven.

No

No, is not wrong to require they are vaccinated. See. a child could become sick because he wasn't vaccinated. Fine, let the parents deal with the problem....but what if this child endangers the lives of other kids?

For the big ones, polio, tetanus, tuberculosis and the like, without doubt.
The annual flu shot I am not convinced of the necessity. I think it should be available for all, but personal choice. There are so many strains and the vaccine only has 3-5 variants in it.
I have never had a flu shot, yet I went to a Dr 4 years back, 1st time in years, and got my tetanus shot.

No

Vaccinations work. There is no good reason to avoid vaccinations.

Silly Question, but No !

I am pro-vax. I believe vaccination saves lives. I believe that herd immunity is important to protect those who can't be vaxed due to medical issues. However, I have many reservations about forced vaccination including all of the following:

I strongly believe in bodily autonomy. I have a right to say what happens to me medically. Where this gets tricky, of course, is when parents are speaking for their minor children and making dreadful decisions. Such as, "We're going to pray the cancer away."

Also, medical science is not as black-and-white as we like to think it is. For instance, I have a friend whose child has been diagnosed with PANDAS and some Lyme disease coinfections. This child's immune system is compromised, but not in a way that mainstream medicine is yet willing to acknowledge. My friend, understandably, doesn't want to vaccinate her child. But it's not because of Jenny McCarthy or Andrew Wakefield. She just knows that her child is at higher risk than other children for an adverse reaction. However, she's not anti-vax because she's counting on the children around her child to get their vaccinations, so her child can be protected by herd immunity. Yet she's sometimes treated like she's an anti-science nutjob and a horrible parent. I really feel for her.

And, then there's Gardasil. I have VERY mixed feelings on this one. A friend's perfectly healthy daughter developed severe, uncontrollable epilepsy after taking the vaccines. (Gardasil is multiple injections.) You can tell me that anecdotes aren't science and that "correlation isn't causation," but everyone (including her doctor) is pretty certain that she suffered a serious adverse Gardasil event. On the other hand, I have a family member who died from cervical cancer caused by HPV she didn't know she had. If she'd gotten Gardasil, she'd be alive today.

So, TLDR version: I am mostly pro-vax, but don't believe this is the black-and-white issue that both sides of the controversy keep trying to insist it is.

vita Level 7 Apr 25, 2018

Hello!!! THANK YOU.
It's all fine and well to sit on one's perch never having seen or dealt with lifelong effects after a reaction.
Big Pharma has really done a bang up job of making money off "herd THINK".

Same with pets. Titer your animals after 1st rounds of vax people and tell the class what their levels were before you regurgitate a trillion dollar industry because "Wakefield" getting those annual boosters needlessly.

Has anyone not noticed there are no MMR brand(Merck et al) advertisements? Because they can't truthfully list all the potential side effects.
I will never understand how so many otherwise intelligent people buy the lie from an industry that has committees to decide how much they can gouge for things like breast cancer treatment for what "the market will bear".

I'm a slow, cautious vaxxer, not anti, but I get the fear.
The idea of forcing parents to give an infant a million shots before age one when their immune systems aren't set is despicable.

In other words,@vita, instead of giving in to hysteria, you are reasoning, weighing the pros and cons, and educating yourself. This is important. My daughter died of a brain tumor at 18 years that all the doctors said she didn't have and one doctor even told me that sometimes teenage girls make this sort of thing up for attention...Hello!? Of course, after her death, all those doctors sent me letters about their lawyers!

There are risks with vaccinations as there are medical risks and allergies and other factors that may influence medical decisions. The point is to go in not from left field but a place of knowledge. I am for vaccinations because I have seen or heard and read about both sides of the story and this is important, the correlating evidence, not just the McCarthys' and Wakefields.

I spent the first five years of my life in the midst of a polio epidemic and a shortage of iron lungs, and I have a friend who died from polio-related effects and one who suffers from them now. It is all well and good to pontificate from the sidelines and another to see the result of not having available vaccinations.

@Angelface, your story makes me so !@#$ed sad. "Teenage girls make this sort of thing up for attention"? Then threatening you with their lawyers? I hope they heard from YOUR lawyers. Women's pain is frequently written off as hysteria. [theatlantic.com]

I am very glad that I received all of my vaccines prior to contracting Lyme disease. Well, all of the ones that they gave out in the 1970s, anyway. I am glad I have a polio vaccine. I am even glad I have a smallpox vaccine despite the eradication of that disease. I was still getting vaccines right up until my Lyme diagnosis. Now I just hope for the best during flu season. So far, so good on that front. The fact that I don't have children and don't get out much probably serves to protect me somewhat. But still, my husband brings home crud. And I get exposed to stuff in doctors' waiting rooms.

No. It should be required, and it is in my state, before they can attend school.

But some states allow for exceptions such as religion which to my mind is depending on everyone else for protection and perhaps protection against the unvaccinated.

Besides the obvious, that vaccinations save millions of lives, it is also true that there are children and adults unable because of physical and medical issues to be vaccinated. These people depend on what is termed the herd immunity. "Herd immunity is a form of immunity that occurs when the vaccination of a significant portion of a population (or herd) provides a measure of protection for ... These include children who are too young to be vaccinated, people with immune system problems, and those who are too ill to receive vaccines (such as some cancer)."

[vaccinestoday.eu]

No. Thousands more would have died horrible deaths without vaccinations.

No

Mixed feelings-posted articles vs it earlier. Some proof of autism in male births.

I believe it is criminal for a parent not to vaccinate their children. It has been proven that these vaccinations provide protection against disease and not to vaccinate leaves these children open for disease and possible infection of others. Because it is for the greater good of others I do not believe this is an infraction of personal beliefs.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:66169
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.