Agnostic.com

33 12

I trust most of us here have studied the Bible more thoroughly than those who profess belief; if you’re like me, that’s how you got to your state of disbelief in the first place. We all know the Bible is full of ridiculous bullshit at best and horrendous bigotry sexism and genocide fueling narratives at the worst. My question is: what is the most beautiful, complex truth you’ve ever found in the Bible?

It could just be that the mainstream interpretation of some legends entirely missed the point and there’s a deeper metaphorical meaning that does have merit, or it could just be our wishful thinking finding meaning in something that was initially designed to control people. Whether it’s inherently valuable or you made it so with your own interpretation, what are some lessons you think might be worth preserving?

Examples:
To me, the story/message of Jesus’ life was very Buddhist. I think his point, if he had one, was to serve as an example of the death of ones ego. He explicitly told others not to pedestalize him as a god but that the only way to peace/heaven was as he had done, to suffer the death of your own ego and wake up to ones inner divinity. That the connection and compassion we have with/for each other is the only god we need serve, and the message flew way over most sheeples heads.

I also had a rather psychedelic experience through yoga where I realized that the myth of the garden of eden may have a very significant meaning. I always asked why a loving god would put us in a garden, set up a temptation and then punish us for something he knew we’d do. I came to the conclusion that he didn’t. If the story has a moral, it’s about how we do it to ourselves. Our suffering in life is a cycle of shame and entitlement. By our nature we will always want the one thing we can’t have, even in paradise. We foster a sense of entitlement for that thing that we feel denied, and eventually we snap and just take it. Then we’re shamed for wanting the thing, further repressed (by adults in our childhood usually) and the cycle of shame and entitlement continues amplifying itself in a feedback loop. The first “sin” wasn’t disobedience to an arbitrary rule: it was also a rather Buddhist ideal of missing the mark by focusing on what you can’t have. When I realized the cycle of shame and entitlement that had been laid on me by parents pastors and so many religious teachers, I felt an incredible literal weight lift off my shoulders. I felt a tension in major muscle groups release for the first time in decades. I felt the peace that passeth understanding for the first time as an atheist, and finally truly knew what it felt like to be “saved.”

Sadly I don’t think most Christians ever feel that. I hope most of you have. What other potentially valuable lessons do you feel were lost to the sheep who took things too literally?

Wurlitzer 8 Apr 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"If 2 shall not lie together, how shall ye have heat ? People who sleep together stay warm. ...since there was no Jesua Nasoret there can be no worthwhile words from a non-existent alleged baby god. ....Song of Solomon has some luscious breasts and lips as sweet as pomegranate but not much Romance in a genocide misogyny manual

I've tried a few times, but just can't get past Genisis. I'm like "Wait, what?" It makes my head hurt. I keep thinking that I should, but I'm not sure why.

Yeah if you’re interested in pursuing it as literature I’d try reading select books. It’s really not meant to be read from beginning to end, and yeah genesis is 100% nonsense. It’s a pretty piss poor compilation but certain books have their moments. The “prophet” books later on like Ezekiel, Isaiah, Ruth, and the poetry/wisdom quips in Song of Solomon and Psalms are the main parts of the Old Testament that might hold up for starters. Read Job if you need to feel better about how your day’s goin. There’s not a lot else I can recommend in good conscience.

The bible was one I studied in college as part of high literature and here is what many of the class and I came away with. First, you can tell where they edited, took apart and respliced material in incomplete sentences or partially finished paragraphs and descriptions.
You can also see that there were probably five foremost writers of later texts called for definition, the Priest, the Warrior, the Wiseman and some others I've forgotten.
You see this plainly in the similar style of writing. Many of the subjects in the Bible were cobbled together from old legends and stories remade into a Christian theme. Many themes were concocted, revised and some partially discarded.
Remember too that the Bible was initially believed to have been then transcribed back to Greek or Latin from ancient Hebrew texts that used no punctuation. Around the time of the Roman empire, the second or new testament was added, revised, respliced, etc.
It was then, old and new testaments said to be copied by hand from the Latin into Greek and then later to many other languages as the religion spread. It's a wonder what the original writers put down after all of this transcription. During medieval times, the church from Augustus onward took it upon themselves to re-edit and revise several times during canonical gatherings.
I have to laugh when I hear someone says this version or that one is the correct word of God as it has been mainly overwritten centuries and centuries ago.

This is one of those where I end up saying nothing--because if I wanted to say anything, it would end up being a scholarly paper after 6 weeks of research. So...

I've never read it.
Never felt I needed to.

Thanks for sharing your experience and very valid. I think I have to agre with educated redneck and say Song of Solomon.

Also worth looking at, although not the bible, Negative or Apophatic theology, works like The Cloud of Unknowing and texts by Meister Eckhart

I was not raised in any religion. Therefore I have never opened a bible in my 56 years ! So I do not have an answer for you 🙂

Nope, never read a single bit neither had any desire or curiosity to do that.

Never read it.

Had bits read to me a school and concluded that it's a fairy tale.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:66182
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.