Agnostic.com

9 1

LINK Joe Rogan believes atheists "substitute God for other things" like socio-political ideologies

Joe Rogan fired off a controversial take regarding atheists and God.

The popular podcaster appeared as a guest on Hotboxin' with Mike Tyson for the show's "4/20 special" episode. During the show, Rogan and Tyson discussed a variety of topics, including fighting, politics, and religion.

During their conversation about wokeness, Rogan pointed out that some people without religion tend to operate in a dogmatic fashion. The veteran comic then offered up an explanation as to why they tend to do so:

"That's what a lot of people believe the problem is. It's that a lot of people don't have God and they substitute God for other things that mimic the same kind of control that religion has. And ideologies are one of those things."
snytiger6 9 Apr 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yeah, Joe… like theists never have dogmatic political ideologies. 🙄

Joe Rogan has the brains given to him by his non-existent god. Joe Rogan has no brains.

Rogan's skill is getting people on his show, and allowing them to either prove themselves fools or people of interest. He's good at shaping the questioning and facilitating that. But when he starts talking about subjects on his own that he's not knowledgeable about, like COVID, atheism, or anything else, he's found wanting. He really should stick to what he's good at, and spare the world his commentary. As Dirty Harry used to say, 'A man has just got to know his limitations.'

Mike Tyson and Joe Rogan are not deep thinkers.

That's polite.

Sounds like he's parroting Jordan Peterson bullshit.

I copied and pasted to see the clumsy quote. Here it is.

"That's what a lot of people believe the problem is. It's that a lot of people don't have God and they substitute God for other things that mimic the same kind of control that religion has. And ideologies are one of those things."

Here is my answer.
I don't substitute God for anything -- he/she/it doesn't exist. I think he meant to say I substitute other things for God.

If his twisted worldview somehow requires an outside controlling force, I guess he could be correct. I prefer to think I've made my own choices.

I won't give credit(or blame) to any external fantasy creation for my situation.

Your quote sadly is not readable, it is running of the edge of the page.

He is probably to a degree on the right track. It is just that he has the cart and the horse mixed up.
Christians substitute their god/faith/religion/dogma (It is all one.) for socio-political ideals, humanity, respect for the world and moral accountability.

Why can’t people like Rogan understand that atheists don’t need any substitute to replace god in our lives or feel any need to fill a void….we just need to be allowed to not hear or think about god at all. Atheism is not a collective movement or grouping…we are merely individuals who have all the political and social orientations and interests that other members of society have…we just don’t have a belief in the existence of a god or gods.

Joe rogan has identified as an agnostic for many years now.

@Tejas ok…I’ve never heard of him…just assumed he was religious. I’ll adjust the text. Thank you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:662064
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.