Agnostic.com

5 3

LINK There's no such thing as an 'addictive personality' – here's why

While there are many pre-disposing factors for addictive behavior, including genes and personality traits, such as high neuroticism (anxious, unhappy, prone to negative emotions) and low conscientiousness (impulsive, careless, disorganized), addictive personality is a myth.

Even though there is good scientific evidence that most people with addictions are highly neurotic, neuroticism in itself is not predictive of addiction. For instance, there are highly neurotic people who are not addicted to anything, so neuroticism is not predictive of addiction. In short, there is no good evidence that there is a specific personality trait – or set of traits – that is predictive of addiction and addiction alone.

zblaze 7 Apr 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All addictions are an attempt to escape or change or control dis-satisfactory circumstances.

I would agree. Not that I'm an expert or anything.

Doesn't really matter does it? What matters is how to stop the addiction.

Addictions can be multiple with one person - an example of an overeating, oversmoking gambler.

Oh horsefeathers! Answer one thing: why can one person try somethimg like cocaine, or alcohol, and almost immediately go right into a bad spiral, and others are like, "-meh", no matter how much they use?

There are genetic factors and cultural factors, as well as personal factors that go into it. It's not just a personality type.

@sloryd Bullhockey! ?

@sloryd i too am trying to cut down on the $@#&%......people keep telling me (%$@"$# people!!!) that it is innapproriate for a woman my age. My age, yer ass! And mind your own freakin business! Look, i did good here...not one freaking "fuck" in the whole posit. Lol!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:66247
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.