Agnostic.com

11 1

What clicked for you when you realized religion was bullshit?

JeffreyRidout 2 Apr 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Honestly? I was a kid and realised Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy weren't real. Logically I followed that through to mean God isn't either. When I asked my dad he said God didn't exist but don't tell mum that.

Well.your Dad was cool about it... Nice !!! Other kids may have gotten answers like; shut up, go away, you're grounded...or even worse, a wack on the head or even a beat up. Let alone the psychological abuse of "ohhh you will burn in hell FOREVER"..etc, etc.... I hope you truly appreciate how cool your old man really was !!

@IamNobody we've got a really cool relationship watching Hitchens videos together and debating, I'm pretty lucky to have such a cool dude for a dad

That I had wasted most of my life living for quite literally nothing. This is why I am so active today. I can bare to see others do it when they can be free from living in self-delusion.

How stupid my parents were/are for not realising how much bullshit it is, how ridiculous and why they kept feeing it to the next generation.

At the age of 15 I took a hit of LSD and it felt like I had gained ten years of knowledge in one night. I quested everything about religion for the first time. When you logically question religion it completely falls apart. There is nothing to it but empty words uttered during ignorant times by ignorant ancient men who didn't even know where the sun went at night or that the world was round with millions of people on the other side of it. The fact that no one in the new world, when it was discovered, knew anything about the chrisitian god or had one clue it existed from the begining of time until the 1400s when the bible was introduced by men. This has already proven that the christian god is not all knowing and all seeing. And it proves the god is blind as men are at any time and that it is no god at all.

While I do not believe in gods, goddesses, devils, demons -- whatever. I do not believe it is as you say, bullS#!T. Primitive man grew up looking at seasons, storms, natural events, and tradegy and tried to answer for themselves why. Both law and religion grew up out of these -- how do you tell a child saying 'why', repeatedly, why eating wild pig is bad. Note: most people like medium cooked meat (pink in the middle). Because 1 in 4 died horribly from trichinosis an invisible disease transmitted by undercooked pork. Eventually one says -- because god said no. While a silly example, religions help us grow and develop as a species. Most tomes say the same things basically -- how to live with one's self and others. The god stuff is simply there to enforce these rules through fear.

The catalyst for me, the beginning of a road to Agnostic-Atheism, was after I found out (at the age of 11) that I had been born out of wedlock. As a church choir boy, I was sat in church reading the bible and I read Deuteronomy 23:2 "A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD."

At first I was (seriously) frightened that the Vicar would find out that I was in church (and the choir) under false pretenses! I THEN started wondering WHY I, and my ten generations of offspring, were going to be punished for a 'crime' which had absolutely nothing to do with any of us, was completely beyond our control, and was totally unfair and unjust. From there I just kept reading more and more in that evil book that was so abhorrent to me, that came from a God we were told was kind and loving (and, bizarrely and illogically, ORDERED to love!). Even when I was young and religious, the whole original sin thing just never made any sense to me, nor that Jesus died for our sins, and I just couldn't get my head around either of those two concepts. The thought that the entire human race was being punished eternally because some bloke scrumped an apple thousands of years before I was born, was just completely illogical, and, again, totally unfair, as was the apparent fact that I was being held to some kind of obligation, an unsigned contract, to a man, again thousands of years before I was born, because he KNOWINGLY ALLOWED himself to be nailed to a cross.

So all that, and more, led me down the (approximately) 15 year path, before I eventually made the decision that I was now an Agnostic Atheist.

That's quite the deal breaker and you better not be caught going to Red Lobster for the Shrimp special, God hates shrimp too, fucking outside of wedlock not as much as he hates shrimp but still not good. 😉

@Surfpirate Yes, he hates shrimp, and mixed fabrics too. Strange how idiots like the Westboro Baptist Church don't hold banners saying "GOD HATES SHRIMPS" as they stand there sweating in their polyester and viscose knickers. 🙂

When I read in the bible,that women on their monthly period,were unclean,and had to sleep outside the camp. Their God did not know women had periods.

Little-known fact: When Isaiah said "all our righteousness are as filthy rags" in god's sight, the Hebrew is ukabeged ehdim, which literally means, “like as rags of menstruation.”

It's hard to find more patriarchy and misogyny than in the Babble. That's another example of how it leads from behind, never presents ideas that would have been forward-thinking for their day, but always reflects its time.

I guess that makes god a product of his time ...

For me, I always felt like most people were just faking it for the benefit of the few true believers.
Then as I got older I found the hyprocracy of supposed pious people, priests, religious parents who abuse children and especially televangelists who prey on dumb,elderly believers who can least afford to give, to supply themselves and their families with lavish lifestyles. All while professing " God spoke to me" HE wants money.
Then finally the utter shunning and belittling of science and everything they find that refutes what their book says , saying the scientists are wrong, without any proof... Or cherry picked proof only.
All in all it has been building for a long time, no real click just a slow path towards where everything can and does make sense.

I didn't mean to say dumb, elderly. I should have said dumb and or elderly.
I need to get better at proofreading lol

It became a matter epistemology for me - how do we know what we know? Are we going to accept as fact details about Jesus written (at the earliest) fifty years after his death? In a time when there was no easy way to keep records, a lot had to be based on oral traditions of passing along tales. Lots of possible embellishment there. I also think a lot was "retro-fitted" to meet the requirements of prophesies and general knowledge of what makes a person a deity. For instance, one requirement was to be the product of virgin birth. Alexander the Great proclaimed his was such a birth, and people believed him because - well, he was in charge! After a lifetime of mostly faithful church attendance and justifying it because it was a liberal congregation, I finally came to the bullshit realization and decided there was no longer anything to gain by perpetuating these myths.

I realized I could sleep later on Sundays.

It wasn't a huge epiphany or light bulb moment that instantly made me realize religion was bullshit. It was many small things over time that built up. Even from a young age, I thought the people speaking in tongues at the church my parents took me to just looked stupid. I remember feeling embarrassed for them, and I didn't think it was real. I never felt like there was any god listening to me when I used to pray. My prayers were NEVER answered. Not once. Just thinking over time about how absurd the whole idea of religion is made me realize it's bullshit. Now, I have a difficult time understanding how I ever believed in god and how anyone else can still believe in god.

You evolved.

@The_Antichrist I like the way that sounds! 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:66265
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.